New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

total n00b question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

disturbed13

disturbed13 is on a distinguished road

i will give the scenrio as to how i came about owning a Mac Book Pro, then the question....

Scenrio:
my sister in law spills water on the keyboard from a large mouth water bottle. so the mac 'just stops' is how they put it. they took the back off of it and used a hair dryer on the guts to dry it out. its working now and i have my own Administrator account, as well as my Brother and my Sister-in-Law's account... still.
before i bought it from them for $200 they put all of their accounts on iCloud i guess, and was able to transfer all of their settings and bookmarks to their new Mac Books.

Question:
if i delete their accounts from my Mac Book, would i delete their info from iCloud? or even their new machines?
i know that this is competely stupid, but i am a 100% n00b at OSX

please dont laugh too hard at me....
QUOTE Thanks
S.SubZero

S.SubZero is a jewel in the roughS.SubZero is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by disturbed13 View Post
Question:
if i delete their accounts from my Mac Book, would i delete their info from iCloud? or even their new machines?
i know that this is competely stupid, but i am a 100% n00b at OSX

please dont laugh too hard at me....
You will not affect their cloud data.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.SubZero View Post
You will not affect their cloud data.
Exactly, its in the Cloud, thats what its for, so its not on a piece of Hardware . . . .

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
newscribe

newscribe has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2010 Macbook - OS X 10.9 - iPhone 4s - iPod - iPad

Hi OP,

Personally as this is a second hand Mac, I would do an erase and new OS X install. As I presume yiou have the install disks that originally came with the machine.
This way you can set the Mac up to your personal preferences.
QUOTE Thanks
disturbed13

actually they said that there wasnt any discs that came with the mac, i though other wise.....
i have my own Administrator account
wouldnt that be just as good as a fresh install?
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Depending upon when this Mac was released it may not have come with install discs. Lion was released in July of 2011 and was downed only. A USB stick version became available later Mountain Lion has always been download only. The last OS released on DVD was 10.6.x.

Since you have your own administrator account in many cases that might be almost as good unless you are experiencing problems with the machine. If you want to do a clean install you should be able to boot into the Recovery partition and go from there.

If you can tell us exactly which mac you have, amount of memory, and OS version we can give better advice. Go to the Apple menu choose About This Mac then pick More Info and report the results.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
disturbed13

2.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 4 GB DDR3 RAM, Intel HD Graphics 4000 512 MB, 500 GB HDD, OS X 10.8.4
QUOTE Thanks
disturbed13

can anyone give me any advise on what i should look for when i pull the main logic board out of my Mac Book Pro to check for water damage?

i got this Mac Book Pro from my Brother and his wife, she spilled water from a wide mouth water bottle on the keyboard
they took the back off and use a hair dryer to clean it up
and so far its been working
(they also have a dog)

so i want to take the main board out clean off the heat sinks, and fans
and go over the board and look for any signs of water damage and prolly clean it off with some rubbing alcohol while im in there

can anyone tell me what i should be looking for? i have an associates degree in computer networking so i dont need a lesson in components
im really wanting to know what tall tell signs i should look for or anything that i should look at for a warning sign that its about to fail

thanks for any help
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Let's keep this all together as one thread instead of making it into two, especially since the main subject about the spill is the same.

Also, we suggest you read through our "spills" thread which you can find at the top of the Notebook forum.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« IMovie Wont Play Project?! | Screen Display Problem IMAC-24" »