Specs:
    iMac 21.5" 2.5 i5 8G RAM OS X 10.10.3 (12C60)
    Doing an OS re-install I will not lose files and settings, right?
    So who's done a re-install and not lost files and settings? Is it really that simple? My goal is to fix myriad small issues. Most of my posts on this site are negative ones (issues) regarding my iMac, so this may be a good option for me at this point.

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, Sierra
    If you're referring to reinstalling Mountain Lion, you shouldn't lose any data as only the system files and kexts are overwritten. This assumes of course that you don't erase the drive or format it first!

Remember, however, since "Murphy" is always lurking about, make a backup first.

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by dotdotdot View Post
    So who's done a re-install and not lost files and settings? Is it really that simple?
    I've probably done it hundreds of times over the years. It's a pretty easy process.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Specs:
    iMac 21.5" 2.5 i5 8G RAM OS X 10.10.3 (12C60)
    Will it fix all errors? Examples, I recently posted about my devices not showing anywhere (Finder, Dock). (I do have the Finder Preferences ticked to show the devices.) Also, I get the occasional (about once a month) crash where everything freezes necessitating having to turn it off via the power strip.

What will it not fix? That is, is it a cure-all?

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by dotdotdot View Post
    Will it fix all errors?

What will it not fix? That is, is it a cure-all?
    Is there anything in life that is a "cure-all"? Of course not. Thus an OS reinstall will probably not be a cure-all either.

I think that you're looking for is a "magic bullet"...and reinstalling the OS is not a "magic bullet" in all cases.

The best shot you have at a "cure-all"...would be to totally erase the HD, reformat the HD, and then reinstall the OS. But if you do this...you will lose all settings, bookmarks, preferences, and applications that you installed.

And you really cannot even use a Time-Machine backup to restore everything after an OS reinstall...since a Time Machine restoration may restore the problems you are trying to get rid of.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    Reinstalling the OS is a "Windows fix" for many problems.

Mac users generally don't need to do this except in very extreme circumstances, so in short I agree with Nick. It would be better to troubleshoot the actual issues, but if you don't want to do that then perhaps a reinstall will help.

It should be noted that since you're keeping all your own "stuff" as it were in doing this reinstall, the problem may not be fixed by a reinstall. We simply don't have enough information to help you decide that.

For example, if you'd created a new, "clean" admin account and reported the same problems, or that you *didn't* have the same problems, then we'd have a way better idea of what might be going on and whether a system reinstall will help or be a waste of time.

Thread Information