New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Lifelong Windows User Converts to Mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MJGUK

Hi All,

Just registered on these forums after searching a few Mac boards on the net, your boards seem the best to me
Figured I best sign up to a board due to my conversion to Mac, I have no doubt I'll need plenty of assistance and guides in the next weeks/months and I have no doubt I'll find that here.

To cut a long story short, I've been a Windows user since I was about 8, with my first PC being a Pentium 133 with 32mb of RAM I've been through Windows 95, 98, ME (ewww), 2000, XP (Home and Pro) and finally, yes finally I have had it with Windows and completly converted to Mac
I bought my first Mac last year, in the shape of a 14inch iBook to replace my old Toshiba Notebook and whilst I've been very pleased with that purchase, due to the fact that I use my desktops so much more, I cannot really class that as a 'conversion'.
The ordering of my new 20inch iMac 2ghz Intel Core Duo has to be my 'moment of conversion'

I've converted entierly to Mac for numerous reasons, but possibly mainly, due to College/Uni and my ever increasingly busy, working lifestyle.
In the end I found PCs ineffecient, time consuming, buggy and generally unpleasant. I'm hoping my new complete conversion to the OS X 'Way Of Life' will bring a helping hand to my studies!

I've gone for the new Intel iMac, 20inch Model with a 1Gig RAM upgrade, added iWork, AppleCare and JBL Creature II Speakers. Currently waiting for it to ship from the factories and can't wait to get my hands on it!

Hoping I've made the right choice here and looking forward to Mac > Windows
QUOTE Thanks
innereye

Welcome and congrats! I just made the switch myself and Mac > Windows turned out to be the correct formula for me. Enjoy your new gear!!
QUOTE Thanks
TRIANGLE_CHOKE

I made the switch 6 months ago when the iBooks were finally updated, and I can honestly say it was the best decision I've ever made with regards to technology.

i havent used the intel imacs but i've used the imac g5 extensively at work and i can say you've made a great purchasing decision. enjoy your mac!
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

enjoy the new mac!!!! remember to let it fold in its spare time!!!

-chris

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
MJGUK

Thanks guys!

I have a quick question if I may....
I have a Netgear Router here and currently, is connected upto the box which the iMac Will replace. It serves a few wireless notebooks and currently, another desktop over ethernet.

Will it be possible for me to just plug my iMac in to the router, disable it's Airport (as I won't need it wirelessly) and run as per usual?

Cheers,
QUOTE Thanks
Berman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJGUK
Thanks guys!

I have a quick question if I may....
I have a Netgear Router here and currently, is connected upto the box which the iMac Will replace. It serves a few wireless notebooks and currently, another desktop over ethernet.

Will it be possible for me to just plug my iMac in to the router, disable it's Airport (as I won't need it wirelessly) and run as per usual?

Cheers,
yes :black:
QUOTE Thanks
MJGUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berman
yes :black:
QUOTE Thanks
atforce

Its good to see people switching. Yet I am one of the few who have had a mac their whole life.
QUOTE Thanks
MJGUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by atforce
Its good to see people switching. Yet I am one of the few who have had a mac their whole life.
To be honest, I think if it wasn't for the fact that I used to game a bit, I would have converted a few years back. I was given my first PC as a Birthday present at around the age of 8, remember it well infact, P 133 and 32mb of RAM....pretty amazing when you think of specs now :O
But anyway I guess I just got sucked into the PC market that way and never cut loose until now, the interest in games definatly held me back as I am not sure how I'd find gaming on a Mac, atleast in terms of number of titles available etc.
But I just don't have time for that anymore, so I really had no excuse left
I'm pretty sure I'll have a better time with Macs than I have with PCs.
I mean that said, all my PC boxes are so customized now, they work fairly perfectly, I have no issues.
But that said, that is only because I've had about 10 years of them breaking on me, fixing them and general this and that, that now they've come to run pretty well, mostly due to the fact that my knowledge of Windows in all varieties is pretty extensive (imo).
But really, should you have to spend 10 years with the boxes to get them running well? I hope not
Hopefully my experience with OS X will be somewhat 'quicker'
QUOTE Thanks
atforce

I got into macs over the stupidest thing imaginable. Ok pretty much for too reasons, my friends dad is a graphix designer for dc comics so he had a powermac g3 and an imac g3 back in the day when those were the ****. And then me and my friend used to go on and play bugdom all the time and let me tell you that game was the **** back in the day. Me and him used to play bugdom and kidpix all the time, thats why i wanted a mac when i was 10. My first mac ahhhh, and then from there on i have been sucked into the mac world. And there are still great games for mac out there, just not as many. Let me tell you I am a halo freak.
QUOTE Thanks
MJGUK

Hmmm, I have a quick question if someone can help me here....Thought it best not to make a new thread just for this

Basically, when ordering my Intel iMac I customized to include the Wireless Keyboard and Mouse....my question is, will I recieve the original Mighty Mouse and Standard Keyboard too? Or just the Wireless set? May seem like a silly question, but it seems to me that I paid around the full, normal price for the Wireless set and hence, I'd expect to recieve the original gear too.
QUOTE Thanks
deus_ex_machina

deus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach_z
enjoy the new mac!!!! remember to let it fold in its spare time!!!

-chris
plug.
QUOTE Thanks
ByzantineRemnant

ByzantineRemnant will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4

I have the JBL creature II speakers, and I like them very much. Partly for the fact that they are white, and they match the rest of an iBook or iMac. They sound pretty decent. I think you purchased a good computer, I cant imagine you possible being disspaointed. Regarding games, Blizzard makes some of the best PC games there are, and they are Mac compaitable on Day one. booyah. Lol.
QUOTE Thanks
atforce

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJGUK
Hmmm, I have a quick question if someone can help me here....Thought it best not to make a new thread just for this

Basically, when ordering my Intel iMac I customized to include the Wireless Keyboard and Mouse....my question is, will I recieve the original Mighty Mouse and Standard Keyboard too? Or just the Wireless set? May seem like a silly question, but it seems to me that I paid around the full, normal price for the Wireless set and hence, I'd expect to recieve the original gear too.

I am sure you only played for what the wireless keyboard and mouse, you can buy mighty mouse seprately. Honestly I dont know why people need wireless keyboards and mouse's but w/e. Persoanlyl I like the old stuff betr thats why i have an oldschool keyboard and a mightmouse. Best choixce though is the classic one click wire mouse.
QUOTE Thanks
MJGUK

Just to update,

I'm expecting delivery of my software and speakers tomorrow, with the iMac hopefully following within the next few days. In terms of how quickly the software and co went from Shanghai to the Daventry Depot, UK.....the shipping is very quick so far! I've heard that it varies a great deal and I have a feeling my iBook took much longer to ship, but so far....so good!

I simply cannot wait to set it up and have a play!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Easy install?? | Maybe switching to a mac »