Macbook is running slow- Virus?
    I've had a macbook for three or four years now, and recently its been running very slowly. Applications often take forever to load or completely quit. I don't think it's a memory issue, because I still have over 60 gb of free memory. I once got an error message while restarting my computer, saying it was having difficulty setting up and needed some extra time before it finally turned on. After noticing that a site I was on was connecting to a connection I heard was malware in disguise, called b.scorecardresearch.com, and got worried that a virus might be responsible. I downloaded symantec endpoint protection from my colleges website, and after three slow days it turned up no viruses. I downloaded chkrootkit to check for keyloggers, but it simply shows me "need root privileges" and I have no idea what that means or how to work it. I downloaded a demo of Little Snitch from apples site, which lets me know what is trying to connect to my computer, but I have no idea what to block and what not to block.
    What would you all recommend as a good next course of action?

Specs:
    27" i7 iMac. Intel Quad Core. 16 GB Ram.
    ClamXav is highly recommended by members of the Forum it can be downloaded from here ClamXav . Give it a try and see what it comes up with.
     Machine Specs: 27" i7 iMac l 2.8 GHz Quad Core l 16 GB 1067 MHz DDR 3 Ram l ATI Radeon HD 4850 512 MB Ram l 2 TB Sata HDD l 2 TB Time Machine [Seagate GoFlex. Firewire 800] l Built-in OPTIC DVD RW AD-5680H l Built-in Card reader l Mac OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan I iPhone 4S 16 GB iOS 9.3.3

Specs:
    2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone 6+
    First lets clarify a few things before we go forward with additional troubleshooting.

1. You have 60 GB of free hard drive space not 60 GB of memory (ram). I realize that seems picky but it makes a difference from a troubleshooting standpoint. You'll see why the terms are important in a minute.

2. Which exact MacBook do you have?

3. Which OS version is installed?

4. How much memory (ram) is installed? This is probably between 2 GB and 4 GB

5 How much total hard drive space do you have (total drive size)? Select the drive then press command i and
    6. Have you added any new hardware (including memory) or software recently?

Questions 2, 3, and 4 can be answered by going to the Apple menu and choosing "About This Mac" Jot down the information that appears there then choose More Info and have it show the more detailed report which you can use to find some of the other information should we need it.
    Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowknight238 View Post
    I've had a macbook for three or four years now, and recently its been running very slowly.
    Your hard drive is likely dying.

After noticing that a site I was on was connecting to a connection I heard was malware in disguise, called b.scorecardresearch.com, and got worried that a virus might be responsible.
    Nope. There are no viruses for the Mac. There is some malware out there but nothing that would cause that problem.

What would you all recommend as a good next course of action?
    Stop wasting time on the non-existant virus. Your hard drive is likely starting to fail after four years of service.

Specs:
    Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
    ...and besides, slowing down your computer is not the definition of what a virus does. I know that many people use the term "virus" to mean "anything that seems odd about my computer", but as Sly points out, correct terminology is important.

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowknight238 View Post
    I've had a macbook for three or four years now, and recently its been running very slowly. Applications often take forever to load or completely quit. I don't think it's a memory issue, because I still have over 60 gb of free memory. I once got an error message while restarting my computer, saying it was having difficulty setting up and needed some extra time before it finally turned on.
    Could be a dying HD...or a maintenance issue. Please read some of the links in my signature (Speedup & Beachballs).

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Specs:
    I Mac 27-inch 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5 24GB ram. MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.5GHz dual-core Intel i5 16GB ram
    Have you tried running running OnyX. This may help.
    https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/11582/onyx

I agree that the HDD may be dying. Download DriveDx to check the SMART status. You may need to run the "Full" self-test to do a more thorough check.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

Thread Information