New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Macbook is running slow- Virus?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

shadowknight238

shadowknight238 is on a distinguished road

I've had a macbook for three or four years now, and recently its been running very slowly. Applications often take forever to load or completely quit. I don't think it's a memory issue, because I still have over 60 gb of free memory. I once got an error message while restarting my computer, saying it was having difficulty setting up and needed some extra time before it finally turned on. After noticing that a site I was on was connecting to a connection I heard was malware in disguise, called b.scorecardresearch.com, and got worried that a virus might be responsible. I downloaded symantec endpoint protection from my colleges website, and after three slow days it turned up no viruses. I downloaded chkrootkit to check for keyloggers, but it simply shows me "need root privileges" and I have no idea what that means or how to work it. I downloaded a demo of Little Snitch from apples site, which lets me know what is trying to connect to my computer, but I have no idea what to block and what not to block.
What would you all recommend as a good next course of action?
QUOTE Thanks
Gandalph

Gandalph has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac. Intel Quad Core. 8 GB Ram.

ClamXav is highly recommended by members of the Forum it can be downloaded from here ClamXav . Give it a try and see what it comes up with.

 Machine Specs: 27" i7 iMac l 2.8 GHz Quad Core l 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR 3 Ram l ATI Radeon HD 4850 512 MB Ram l 2 TB Sata HDD l 2 TB Time Machine [Seagate GoFlex. Firewire 800] l Built-in OPTIARC DVD RW AD-5680H l Built-in Card reader l Mac OS X 10.9.2 Mavericks I iPhone 4S 16 GB iOS 7.1
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

First lets clarify a few things before we go forward with additional troubleshooting.

1. You have 60 GB of free hard drive space not 60 GB of memory (ram). I realize that seems picky but it makes a difference from a troubleshooting standpoint. You'll see why the terms are important in a minute.

2. Which exact MacBook do you have?

3. Which OS version is installed?

4. How much memory (ram) is installed? This is probably between 2 GB and 4 GB

5 How much total hard drive space do you have (total drive size)? Select the drive then press command i and
6. Have you added any new hardware (including memory) or software recently?

Questions 2, 3, and 4 can be answered by going to the Apple menu and choosing "About This Mac" Jot down the information that appears there then choose More Info and have it show the more detailed report which you can use to find some of the other information should we need it.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

Don't blame me if following this advice causes loss of data, a rip in space time allowing dinosaurs to roam free, or your significant other to leave.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowknight238 View Post
I've had a macbook for three or four years now, and recently its been running very slowly.
Your hard drive is likely dying.

Quote:
After noticing that a site I was on was connecting to a connection I heard was malware in disguise, called b.scorecardresearch.com, and got worried that a virus might be responsible.
Nope. There are no viruses for the Mac. There is some malware out there but nothing that would cause that problem.

Quote:
What would you all recommend as a good next course of action?
Stop wasting time on the non-existant virus. Your hard drive is likely starting to fail after four years of service.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

...and besides, slowing down your computer is not the definition of what a virus does. I know that many people use the term "virus" to mean "anything that seems odd about my computer", but as Sly points out, correct terminology is important.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowknight238 View Post
I've had a macbook for three or four years now, and recently its been running very slowly. Applications often take forever to load or completely quit. I don't think it's a memory issue, because I still have over 60 gb of free memory. I once got an error message while restarting my computer, saying it was having difficulty setting up and needed some extra time before it finally turned on.
Could be a dying HD...or a maintenance issue. Please read some of the links in my signature (Speedup & Beachballs).

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
docx

docx has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: I Mac 27-inch 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5 12GB ram. MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.5GHz dual-core Intel i5 4GB ram

Have you tried running running OnyX. This may help.
https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/11582/onyx
QUOTE Thanks
lifeisabeach

lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputelifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputelifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputelifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputelifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputelifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputelifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputelifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputelifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputelifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputelifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

I agree that the HDD may be dying. Download DriveDx to check the SMART status. You may need to run the "Full" self-test to do a more thorough check.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« remove unwanted programs | Ist Mac purchase »