Thread: Storage Problem

Storage Problem
    I have a storage problem. I have a 250GB hard drive on my Macbook Pro, with 230GB of it used up. When I went to system information to see where it was all at I found I only have 12GB of audio, 49GB of movies, 26GB of photos, and 8GB of apps. Then I've got this huge 134GB miscellaneous section of which I have no idea what is taking up that much room. There is no way I have that many files on there. What could be taking that much space and how do I get rid of it? I've tried deleting all old files and other random stuff I could find. My computer is starting to run very slowly, I assume as a result of this storage issue.

I tried running ONYX to clean it up a bit, but no luck. Still have the same issue after running it. Any thoughts?

Charlotte, NC
    mid 2010 Mac Mini OS 10.6.8 (SL), 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
    Hi John . . . somebody will pipe up soon and be of better assistance than I. I do know there is an app available that will tell you the contents of your huge 134GB misc. section on your hdd. I do not recall the name right off the top of my head. You may be able to find it yourself using the SEARCH function of the forum. But like I said, someone will come to the rescue and be of more help and maybe know the app's name. Welcome to the forum.

27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3
    Disk Inventory X is one of those apps that Dogbreath is trying to remember..

Run this application and once finished, look at the largest color blocks that will indicate what is taking up the space and where it's located..

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.

Thanks. That was a great help!

Nambucca Heads Australia
    iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.11.1.
    And you do need a larger hard drive. 250GFB is negligible these days alas.
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Thread Information