New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

shrinking storage OS 10.6.8

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

reed t

reed t is on a distinguished road

I have a MacBook Pro 2.26 running OS 10.6.8

I have 160 gig internal drive w/only about 1 gig of currently available.

About 3 months ago I had about 10 GB free. Since then seems like the more I use the computer the less space is available. I surf a lot and watch a lot of streaming video.

A friend told me I could probably clear a lot of space by eliminating internet temp files....
Is that true?
Please advise

I have already moved all docs, images, and movies to an external drive.

I plan to get a larger drive soon but in the mean time I need to clear some space on the drive.

Thank you for any advice you may have---
Reed
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

You're not going to accomplish much at all by removing internet temp files. The only solution is to buy a larger hard drive. As inexpensive as hard drives are and as easy as it is to swap one out in a MBP, there's really no excuse to be putting it off. If your current hard drive fills up, the machine will not boot.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

The more important thing is...using this computer with only 1gig of free space is NOT a very good idea. For two reasons:

1. If you compltely fill up the HD...the computer will "lock-up" and be unusable. The you will have to boot the computer from an alternate source to free up space.
2. The Mac OS needs a decent amount of free space for the "swap file". 1gig free...just isn't enough.

I'm willing to bet that your HD has photos, videos, music, and infrequently used apps on it that could be moved somewhere else. You need to get some items moved off the internal HD to get things back in order.

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

At least 15% of the drive's capacity should be free space. Some even say 20-25%!

Larger hard drive is the answer to your problems. Pop it in an external caddy and use cloning software to copy things over and pop the new drive in as external, format the old drive and use for your backups which I hope you maintain regularly. Be aware when changing the drive changing the SATA cable is a good plan as they become brittle withbheat and age and likely to crack.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
reed t

reed t is on a distinguished road

Thanks a lot for your suggestions.
I will follow them.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« submitting a thread | CDs and DVDs ejected at random »