Specs:
    Mac Pro 1,1, PBG4 17", iBook G3(366 Indigo), iPad Air (16G), iPhone 4(8GB).
    New PowerBook G4 owner.
    Hello everyone,

I've had an old clamshell iBook for a month or so, but I'm actually joining due to my 'new' 17" PowerBook G4. I just got it for $53 shipped on eBay (seller was a pawn shop and they said the battery was flat, and that the SuperDrive didn't work, both of which have proven to be false). Now I just need to get it working with my MessagePad 130 and I'll be golden!

A few pics:

It's got some scuffs on the bottom, and the PB logo is a bit worn, and there are some dents, but overall it's in great shape. A steal for the price.

I've played around with OS X a bit before, and it's mostly straight forward. However, it's running 10.5.8 Leopard, and I'm wondering if I might be better suited downgrading to Tiger.

It's a 1GHz G4, with a 120GB HDD, and right now it's got 768MB of RAM. I plan to stick 2GB in as the very next thing I do, and while Leopard seems to run fine, there are times it's a little bit slow. And when I try to run the copy of Photoshop CS1 it's got...it just gives me the spinning color wheel and the program doesn't go anywhere.

Should I stick with Leopard, or downgrade to Tiger?

Thanks in advance!

Specs:
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    Put the 2 GB in and it should run a lot better. Stick with Leopard. By the way, finding a retail install Leopard disk is going to be a task and will wind up costing you more than your "new" Powerbook.

Specs:
    Okay, that works.

Looks like my PRAM battery is dead...apart from losing my clock and network settings when the power is completely dead, does that affect anything else? Looks like the battery may not be charging correctly, as it was supposedly at about 60% power when it just up and shut down on me.

Specs:
    27" 5K iMac, 3.3GHz, 256GB Flash Storge, 16GB memory and OS X.11.3.
    Running on battery, that shutting down even if showing any charge is a sign the battery is failing, or failed. PRAM battery does control time and date.

If you are in the market for a 58wh Lithium ion battery, suggest looking for genuine Apple and not a 'knock off' battery.
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Specs:
    Yeah, but any genuine battery is going to be used and not last for very long at this point. Or it'll cost an arm and a leg.

Got Photoshop to work, at least. Wasn't in it's folder.

Specs:
    27" 5K iMac, 3.3GHz, 256GB Flash Storge, 16GB memory and OS X.11.3.
    Apple - notebook battery - Li-Ion - 58 Wh - Compare prices, reviews, user opinions - Shopper.com

Well they are still available. Alas cost for upgrading older computers is not very practical.
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Thread Information