New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

New Macbook Questions

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

CookieMonsterXo

CookieMonsterXo is on a distinguished road

Just got my new Macbook yesterday,
and I'm already loving it!
It's taking a bit to adjust, since I'm switching from a Windows and never used a Mac before, but I'm really liking it already.
I'm surprised how easily I've already adjusted to some stuff.

1) I am getting a notification that there is a Software Update (OS X 10.8.4), should I update it? I googled it (my gosh, I've googled so many "how do I _____ on a Mac?" things already, lol), and it seems like a lot of people were reporting having issues with 10.8.4, so I'm a little hesitant to update it. Should I?

2) What is Launch Pad? Is it pretty much just what stores all your Apps, similar to just the "Menu" on Windows?

3) Also, is Microsoft Office pretty easy to install?
I've installed Office before on previous laptops and never really had an issue.
Just want to make sure it's pretty easy to do before I go trying to install it on my own and messing something up.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Google any software update and you will see people with issues. Sometimes its justified but I have had no problems and are not aware of any other issues. In this case it sounds like people are having other problems and blaming the update.

I would go ahead, since there aren't any widely reported issues with this update

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieMonsterXo View Post
1) I am getting a notification that there is a Software Update (OS X 10.8.4), should I update it? I googled it (my gosh, I've googled so many "how do I _____ on a Mac?" things already, lol), and it seems like a lot of people were reporting having issues with 10.8.4, so I'm a little hesitant to update it. Should I?
As mrplow said, you'll always find people that have issues with updates. If you're really concerned, read through the issues and see if any apply. If not, install the update.

Quote:
2) What is Launch Pad? Is it pretty much just what stores all your Apps, similar to just the "Menu" on Windows?
Nothing explains it better than this.

Quote:
3) Also, is Microsoft Office pretty easy to install?
I've installed Office before on previous laptops and never really had an issue.
Just want to make sure it's pretty easy to do before I go trying to install it on my own and messing something up.
It's a "next next done" wizard like you'd see on Windows - open the installer, click next a few times and enjoy.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

And just one more thought. Someone...somewhere...will always have a problem with an update. And sometimes they will misinterpret that the update caused the issue...when it may be due to something else (not related to the update).

And as a more general comment. There will always be someone somewhere that will always have a problem with something/anything. And if you search the internet...you will find it.

The intelligent person must determine if a problem is widespread or an isolated incident. If not widespread...then everything most likely will be fine.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Someone...somewhere...will always have a problem with an update.
This is worth repeating. Given the innumerable number of configurations, there is no way an update sent out to millions will work flawlessly everywhere.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
CookieMonsterXo

Another question....
My battery has run down 17% within about 45-60 minutes...
Is that normal?
I read that I may have things running in the "background" still, but how do I find out what is running in the background?
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

That's an impossible question to answer since we have no idea what you're doing on your machine. Battery depletion is going to differ drastically depending on how hard your machine is working

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
CookieMonsterXo

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
That's an impossible question to answer since we have no idea what you're doing on your machine. Battery depletion is going to differ drastically depending on how hard your machine is working
Is there a way to view what's using up my battery life and stuff then?
I'm not doing a whole lot, just working on re-arranging widgets and LaunchPad stuff, and casually browsing the internet.
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

MacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 4S, iPad (Retina), 13" MBP and MacMini

Turn down screen brightness, that's the biggest battery killer. Also, unlike Windows, the red X does NOT close the application, it just pushes it into the background still running. That's handy most of the time so you can get something started that is going to take a while, then move on to other stuff while it's finishing. To adjust brightness, either use the F1/F2 keys or go to System Preferences (the icon of gears in the Dock), then Displays and use the slider to set brightness. To see what's running, Finder/Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor will show what's taking up CPU and Memory.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

Quote:
Is there a way to view what's using up my battery life and stuff then?
Not that I know of but that doesn't mean something like that doesn't exist (Android has that functionality so it must be possible to track battery usage in relation to applications).

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
exgarymac

exgarymac is on a distinguished road

I am very new to Macbook too.
I used Migration Assistant to get my stuff transferred and now running fine.
Cannot understand why you want to bother with Office. The Mac equivalents are super and a fraction of the price.
As for updating to 10.8.4, I took the plunge and everything is absolutely fine.
I agree that the Mac is super .....so long as you try to unlearn your Windows habits. I am convinced that one needs an open mind to get the best out of the Mac because it is so intuitive. Windows logic just holds you back from maximising your Mac experience.
Richard
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by exgarymac View Post
Cannot understand why you want to bother with Office. The Mac equivalents are super and a fraction of the price.
That's open to debate. As someone who needs perfect compatibility, you'd have to pay me before I use iWork. It's not that it's bad but sometimes it butchers Word documents (I can't speak for the other formats) just enough to drive me crazy.

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
CookieMonsterXo

Quote:
Originally Posted by exgarymac View Post
I am very new to Macbook too.
I used Migration Assistant to get my stuff transferred and now running fine.
As for updating to 10.8.4, I took the plunge and everything is absolutely fine.
I agree that the Mac is super .....so long as you try to unlearn your Windows habits. I am convinced that one needs an open mind to get the best out of the Mac because it is so intuitive. Windows logic just holds you back from maximising your Mac experience.
Richard
Actually, my college offers Microsoft to students for $30.
So, considering Pages is $20 by itself, Microsoft Office was a better deal anyways,
as well as the fact that I just like it better (I'd had Pages and Keynote before on my iPad and didn't care for it much).
QUOTE Thanks
CookieMonsterXo

Another question: What is the difference between your "Photos" folder and "iPhoto"?
I've saved some images, and some have saved to my photos folder while others have been saved to iPhoto, and it's just making me confused trying to figure out which is where, and what the difference is and stuff.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Compatibility is the big issue. Whether you or other iWork pundits like it or not, Office is the de facto standard at universities and businesses. I have used Pages a number of times and it just doesn't "hack" it.

Also your assumption of the "fraction of the price" is overstated. MS Office 2011 student and home version can be purchased for around $90.00 on the web, whereas the iWork apps are $19.99 each and never discounted. $60 compared to $90 is not even close to being a fraction; well OK, a large fraction.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Re-assign f keys manually | safari not loading pages »