New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Guid

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Boatworker

Boatworker is on a distinguished road

I tried to encrypt a USB stick using the drop down menu and was told it needed a GUID Partition Table. I found a number of references describing what it is but not one about how to install it on a USB drive.

I have a 2013 Air.

Thanks for any help on this.

BTW, if there is another way to encrypt a USB drive, that would work too. I am not trying to defeat the NSA, just want to slow down the casual snooper.

Jim
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

It sounds as though you're following instructions for encrypting an internal hard disk. Do you have a link to the information you're following?

Why not create an encrypted disk image (DMG) and put that image on the USB drive?

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

G'day and welcome to the forums.

Hook the drive up and go into Disk Utility. Select the thumb drive, format and into Partition, under Options select GUID.

How To Encrypt External Drives in OS X Lion - Personal-tech - Desktop Applications - BYTE

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Boatworker

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Hook the drive up and go into Disk Utility. Select the thumb drive, format and into Partition, under Options select GUID.

How To Encrypt External Drives in OS X Lion - Personal-tech - Desktop Applications - BYTE
Thanks for the welcome. I have been lurking and learning. This is my first Mac.

I'll give this method a go.

Jim
QUOTE Thanks
Boatworker

I am sure its me, but I tried this method with the disk utility and was given this message when I tried to encrypt it. I selected one partition and FAT32 was the default. It is a 16 gig drive.

"The given file system is not supported on Core Storage."

Edit

I went back and changed the file system to Mac and am having better luck.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

You need to change from fat32 as per the instructions posted above. It's the 5th screenshot on that page

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

MacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 5S, iPad mini, 13" MBP and MacMini

When you do that (Change from FAT32) the USB Stick will no longer be compatible with Windows. Given you are encrypting it, that may not matter, but at least you ought to know. If/when you decide to recycle the stick into a windows machine you'll need to repartition and reformat it to FAT32 again.
QUOTE Thanks
Boatworker

Thanks for all the help everyone. Got it sorted.

Jim
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Best Speakers for your Macbook Pro | vpn access to network shares »