Switching Between Two Displays With Mac Mini
    I have a late 2012 model mac mini with a 2.5GHz i5, 16 gigs of ram and the intel HD 4000 running osx 10.8.4

I'm currently running dual monitors, using both the mini display port and HDMI port, I have them running adapters to DVI for two identical monitors, however I also like to watch videos and movies on my TV via HDMI, and pulling the computer out and unplugging one HDMI cable and plugging in another is a real hassle because of my desk setup.

I know people frequently use HDMI switchers to switch two devices on one display, but would this also work to switch one device between two displays? The one I was specifically looking at is this one: Buy the Inveo HDMI 2-Port Switch at TigerDirect.ca

Any help would be appreciated.

Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    Wouldn't even try it when there are devices designed to do what you want... single input and dual outputs.

Need to be looking for something like this.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

That is a splitter. I need a switcher. My monitor and TV are different resolutions, so if I display on both of them at once one of screens will be cut off and stretched. I need something that I can switch back and forth between, so that my computer will adjust the resolution accordingly.

Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    Only gave you an idea of what to look for.

If you want a device with a single input and dual output, that is what you will need to look for - not a device with dual inputs and a single output. While the cables can be reversed, the ports cannot.

Sorry, but I would have to google the same as you to see if I could locate a device that has a switch on it to alleviate the need for plugging and unplugging a cable. My best guess is that all such devices are going to be designed for dual simultaneous displays rather than switching the output. But, just because I haven't seen one, doesn't mean someone is not making one.

Good luck in your search and keep checking back - we may have someone here that has run across this type of switch for you.

Specs:
    2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone 6+
    I did a quick check and something like this might get the job done. I know it has more inputs and outputs than you need but this is the only one I saw with multiple outputs.I suggest you give them a call and tell them exactly what you want to do. I've called them a few times with somewhat unusual questions and they have been very helpful.
    "Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, Sierra
    Probably overkill for what he wants, but the price is right. It'll definitely do the job.

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    Probably overkill for what he wants, but the price is right. It'll definitely do the job.
    Probably is overkill but I haven't seen anything simpler. Seems like I looked at this once before from a few vendors and everything I found was overkill or hideously expensive. That's how I remembered seeing this thing.

I thought something like this might work but it's more expensive.

Specs:
    Good find Sly, as often as I recommend monoprice, thought I would have seen that - same device anywhere else would likely be 2-3 times the price.

Specs:
    I stumbled upon their site a while ago looking for a long DVI cable. I remember looking at hdmi switches for something else and stumbled on that switch. Most of them sen to be multiple inputs to a single output except for that one.

Thread Information