New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Excel "Document not saved" message

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Makala

Makala is on a distinguished road

I cannot save my excel spreadsheet because this message comes up every time. I have tried a different name for the workbook several times but I always get the message. I have tried Excel Help but the search for this error message produced nothing. Any suggestions please?
Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

I have not encountered this problem yet with Excel but I did a bit of poking around. Here are the fixes that other users have reported.

1. Make sure you are running the current version of Excel. That seems to have fixed things for some users.
2. Repair permissions on the drive using Disk Utility.
3. Choose Save As and save the file. Some users have also suggested that with this method you must also choose a different file format such as Excel '97. This can cause some loss of formatting etc. if you have used a feature not present in the older file formats.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
Makala

Makala is on a distinguished road

Thank you but:
The machine is only about 4 weeks old, it is Mountain Lion and I understand that supports latest updates.
Repair permissions did not work although there were some issues in the report - not that I understand what they meant
I have saved as a different name in Excel 97-2004 and can only wait to find out what features and formatting will not work.
Meanwhile I will have to keep the .xlsx open all the time until I know.
Thanks again.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Yes the latest updates are supported for Mountain Lion with that machine. But this is referring to having the most recent version of Excel. It will run on your machine but may or may not already be installed depending upon how recently Excel was installed. I think they released a minor update within the last few weeks.

The jury seems to be out on how well these steps fix the problem. It is entirely possible that you are experiencing a bug in Excel.

There are several permissions errors that occur regularly and can safely be ignored unless you are experiencing issues with other programs.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

MacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 5S, iPad mini, 13" MBP and MacMini

Just out of curiosity, have you looked to see if the file is actually there, and that the error is from Excel wrongly saying it didn't save it? When/If you update Excel, it will close to update the files, so the .xlsx file will be closed at that time, so pretty much at this point, either the file is there, and you can close Excel, or it isn't, but to get an update to Excel, you'd have to close it and lose the file. Tough choices.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Copy and paste the contents of this file to Text Edit or another text program in case you lose it. At least then you'll be able to reconstruct it.
QUOTE Thanks
rochman99

rochman99 is on a distinguished road

move or copy each sheet you have to a new book and save. it works for me.
QUOTE Thanks
petroni912

petroni912 is on a distinguished road

From my own experience using Office 2011. If you encounter this error in Excel, the file is corrupted. Your macros disappear and the file cannot be saved. Unsaved data up to this point will be lost if you close the file. To avoid having this happen, update both Mac OS and Office software consistently. I find that when I skip a few months, the problem resurfaces.

Always "test" save your file when you first open it to make sure it isn't corrupted. That way you won't lose any data when you do get the error message. If you do get a "file not saved" error, close the file and update both Mac and Office software. Open the corrupted file and select/copy all the data. Retrieve an old backup copy (you do have backups!) and paste in the current data from the corrupted file. Save the backup file with the new data, close and discard the corrupted file and make sure the new file has correct dates, macros and the file name matches the old corrupted file so any links to other spread sheets still work.

I know it's a pain in the butt, however it works for me, I just had to go through the routine again this morning since I got remiss in updating the OS and Office file. I got it down to a science now so that the one or two times it happens a year, I only lose about a half hour of work time

Cheers!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« File Removal | iMac Display Font Size »