New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Optical Drive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Hawaiian

Hawaiian is on a distinguished road

Aloha everyone, i'm new to the forum and trying to find answers to problems with my Black Mac Book. It's an early 2008 in great shape and working condition except for the optical drive. It will not eject the disks until about a dozen or two attempts. I recently read an article
that said I could replace it with an extra hard drive. I would like to do this and just use my usb instead. I read flash drives are faster and more dependable than DVD's.
I'm looking for the drive tray to use for the extra hard drive in the optical drive slot , but can only find the trays for the later Mac Pro's. Can anyone out there help me with this. I saw the other day that there was a pretty good following of the Black Mac Book, so i'm hopping that someone has looked into this already. Any help will be greatly appreciated. After I posted , I say that I actually joined in 08/2012, but this is the first time i've posted. I thought I just recently signed up. Anyway.

Thanks

Hawaiian
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

I'm not sure I would spend the money or time on a machine that's 5 years old, but check with Other World Computing on line as they carry several models of data doublers.
QUOTE Thanks
Hawaiian

Hey chscag, thanks for replying so quickly. I don't know that I can justify upgrading my computer right now. First is cost, trying to adjust to a fixed income. Second other than the drive issue, the computer works great. I'm not a gamer or do graphics,so what I use the computer for is very basic. So I am looking into the data doubler you suggested from OWC, hoping they have the disk tray I need.

Thanks again chscag

Hawaiian
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

I had and loved my BlackBook, but I had to retire it as I've outgrown it and it had a bad battery. I still have it, waiting for me to put Snow Leopard on it and install a new battery ...

Here's what I did about the optical drive (mine worked, but they have a tendency to go before the rest of the computer): I bought an external case and "bare" CD burner for about $60 all together (it would be cheaper now, and you can probably find a USB2 case and burner combo for less than that as well). So I just used the external optical drive when I was home and "forgot" about the built in one.
QUOTE Thanks
Hawaiian

Before my family went to Mac we all had pc's. They all have optical drives. I'm just wondering if one of them will fit in my BlackBook? I'll do the research, just looking for a quick answer. As I said both my BlackBooks are in too good of condition to give them up I all ready have Lion on both, with 4 gb Ram and 500 gb hard drive. The condition of both is excellent. So I'll stick with them till they really get obsolete.

Thanks chas_m

Hawaiian
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quick answer: no they won't. I'm not trying to discourage you, but really an external optical drive is a way cheaper option unless you are REALLY mechanically inclined ...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« panic report | Migration Assistant Troubles »