Thread: Optical Drive

Optical Drive

Optical Drive
    Aloha everyone, i'm new to the forum and trying to find answers to problems with my Black Mac Book. It's an early 2008 in great shape and working condition except for the optical drive. It will not eject the disks until about a dozen or two attempts. I recently read an article
    that said I could replace it with an extra hard drive. I would like to do this and just use my usb instead. I read flash drives are faster and more dependable than DVD's.
    I'm looking for the drive tray to use for the extra hard drive in the optical drive slot , but can only find the trays for the later Mac Pro's. Can anyone out there help me with this. I saw the other day that there was a pretty good following of the Black Mac Book, so i'm hopping that someone has looked into this already. Any help will be greatly appreciated. After I posted , I say that I actually joined in 08/2012, but this is the first time i've posted. I thought I just recently signed up. Anyway.

Thanks

Hawaiian

Optical Drive
    Specs:
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, Yosemite
    I'm not sure I would spend the money or time on a machine that's 5 years old, but check with Other World Computing on line as they carry several models of data doublers.

Optical Drive

Hey chscag, thanks for replying so quickly. I don't know that I can justify upgrading my computer right now. First is cost, trying to adjust to a fixed income. Second other than the drive issue, the computer works great. I'm not a gamer or do graphics,so what I use the computer for is very basic. So I am looking into the data doubler you suggested from OWC, hoping they have the disk tray I need.

Thanks again chscag

Hawaiian

Optical Drive
    Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    I had and loved my BlackBook, but I had to retire it as I've outgrown it and it had a bad battery. I still have it, waiting for me to put Snow Leopard on it and install a new battery ...

Here's what I did about the optical drive (mine worked, but they have a tendency to go before the rest of the computer): I bought an external case and "bare" CD burner for about $60 all together (it would be cheaper now, and you can probably find a USB2 case and burner combo for less than that as well). So I just used the external optical drive when I was home and "forgot" about the built in one.

Optical Drive

Before my family went to Mac we all had pc's. They all have optical drives. I'm just wondering if one of them will fit in my BlackBook? I'll do the research, just looking for a quick answer. As I said both my BlackBooks are in too good of condition to give them up I all ready have Lion on both, with 4 gb Ram and 500 gb hard drive. The condition of both is excellent. So I'll stick with them till they really get obsolete.

Thanks chas_m

Hawaiian

Optical Drive
    Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    Quick answer: no they won't. I'm not trying to discourage you, but really an external optical drive is a way cheaper option unless you are REALLY mechanically inclined ...

Thread Information