New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

'hello' and help please

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

lillismama

lillismama is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: OS X version 10.8.4 / 2.26GHz Intel core duo / memory 2GB 1067 DDr3 / startup Mac HD

Hi everyone. I'm Shar and I'm new to this site, but very pleased to have found it as the Mac support site does not seem to be working for me.

I am currently trying to get my student portfolios finished and the slowness of my Mac is driving me crazy and sometime I just have to walk away. I have had the same problem for ages but it has become a real problem during the end of school year when I have deadlines. iPhoto takes aaaages to open and then seems to stall (or freeze other apps). I generally have to force quit as I do with all the Office Works for Mac and iTunes. Any idea what the problem may be?

I know nothing about the technical side of computers. Nothing. I have copied down my specs but they mean nothing to me. If you are able to help me with my question (for which I would be very grateful) could you please address me as you would a 5 year old. I wont be offended

Thank you so very much if you can help.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Welcome.

NB: I'd always recommend having a backup.

There are a few things to start with:
1. consider buying more RAM (if you tell me if it's a MacBook/MacBook Pro or iMac and it's rough age I can point you in the right direction)
2. You should always try and keep 10% free disk space. So deleting old downloads/documents and installing old software you don't use can help free up space.
3. Download Onyx for Mountain Lion. Install it and run everything on the Automation tab
4. Reset your PRAM (About NVRAM and PRAM)

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
lillismama

Mac Specs: OS X version 10.8.4 / 2.26GHz Intel core duo / memory 2GB 1067 DDr3 / startup Mac HD

Thank you so much for replying Mr Plow. I have copied this:
Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,5
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.26 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MBP55.00AC.B03
SMC Version (system): 1.47f2

Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

It was purchased in about 2009 and I do always back up If you could guide me on what to purchase for buying more ram then that would be very helpful, thank you.

I use MacKeeper to try and 'clean' stuff up, but I could certainly delete more.

I will go now and have a look at PRAM, am assuming it is not something for a baby

Thank you again.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute

MacKeeper is not popular on these forums. Causes more problems than it does good. If I had one strong recommendation it would be to remove that ASAP.

Your Mac can handle 8gb. But even 4 would give you a boost

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
lillismama

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrplow View Post
MacKeeper is not popular on these forums. Causes more problems than it does good. If I had one strong recommendation it would be to remove that ASAP.

Your Mac can handle 8gb. But even 4 would give you a boost
Interesting to know about macKeeper. Thank you.

Also thanks for the advice re RAM. Sorry...just one more question. Can I buy RAM online (download) or do I need to go to a shop to purchase some kind of hardware?

Thank you again
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

I see you're in Dubai so I'm not sure what online retailers or local shops you have available but either will do.

Use the System Scanner at RAM Memory Upgrade: Dell, Mac, Apple, HP, Compaq. USB drives, SSD at Crucial.com that way you'll get accurate information about the exact specification of the RAM you have and you upgrade options.

QUOTE Thanks
lillismama

Gosh, you have been so helpful. I really appreciate your quick responses. Thank you. Will go and look into all this now.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

No problem

Good luck. Let us know how you get on.

QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

I strongly suspect that the OP has one or a combination of the following issues:

1. Doesn't actually quit apps, just "closes" them, meaning they are sucking up resources.
2. Not enough RAM (this I know for a fact is the case) for stuff like large picture/music/etc libraries
3. Probably a very full hard drive, and possibly one that's starting to fail.
QUOTE Thanks
Adric

Adric is a jewel in the roughAdric is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27" iMac (Mid 2011), 3.4GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, 2GB Video Card, 2TB HDD

I agree with chase_m.

If you want to speed up your Mac, you need to do 2 things:

1) Uninstall Mackeeper ASAP. That program causes more problems than it solves and most of the Mac tech world considers it junkware and a borderline scam. Instructions for uninstalling it are here.

2) As has already been stated, you need more RAM. I took the liberty of inputing your model in that link provided above and your purchasing options are here. 8GB is recommended but at the minimum, you need at least 4. Any one of these kits will work with your Mac.

2GB is not a whole lot of RAM so make sure you actually quit your applications rather than just closing the window. To quit an application, hit ⌘q on the keyboard or go to the app menu at the top next to the file menu and select quit.

How much space is available on your hard drive?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Keeping two filing systems in sync | iMac freezing »