New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Why can't I connect my 2007 Mac Mini to my LG HDTV ?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MrRob91

MrRob91 is on a distinguished road

Hi there, I have been searching through the forums for an answer to an issue I am having but have had no luck,
I have recently bought a 2007 Mac Mini to connect to my tv, I have also purchased a 'DVI to HDMI adaptor' and am running a HDMI cable to my tv but I am getting a message saying 'no signal' constantly. I have tried switching ports but still cannot get any kind of display on my tv screen.
Any help would be massively appreciated
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

You have connected the Mac Mini to some monitor/TV to verify it is in fact working?

Then see post # 2 - item # 1

Connecting your Mac to your TV

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
MrRob91

Yes have tried it on another 24" TV, had to reduce to resolution to the lowest for me to see a picture at all, still won't work on my lg 47" hd tv, it seems to be a resolution setting issue, no idea how to get it on to my larger tv at all, just keeps saying 'no signal' on the input list.
This is my first Mac mini and have no clue on what to do about it next ?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

After you have tried at least the first 2 steps in the link above...

Try booting into Safe Mode - link - that will take awhile to boot.

If you've got picture there, head into display properties and try setting the resolution to either 1080p or 720p and then reboot normally.

QUOTE Thanks
MightyGem

MightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. White MacBook, 10.8.5. iPhone 3GS.

If your TV has a VGA input, then try that. Yes I know it's not HDMI.
QUOTE Thanks
MrRob91

I couldn't get a picture in my tv so tried on a smaller one and it worked but the resolution was out, I have started it in safe mode and altered resolution then rebooted and it works fine on the smaller tv, then when I plug it back into my normal tv, no picture

And no, my tv doesn't have a dvi port, only VGA, USB and HDMI ???
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

Try the safe mode boot while it's connected to the TV you want to use.

You used HDMI and the same adapter & cables on both TVs?

Give us the model # of the LG also.

QUOTE Thanks
MightyGem

MightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. White MacBook, 10.8.5. iPhone 3GS.

Quote:
only VGA,
As I said, give that I try. I can't really tell the difference between the two on my TV.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

If the safe boot doesn't work - using the VGA suggestion is a valid option.

Doubtful you'll be able to see any difference between the HDMI and VGA - possibly only on fast moving video scenes.

Only issue, many older TVs had limited lower resolutions they accepted via VGA.
Most of them in the last 3 years or so will accept the TVs native resolution via VGA.
The VGA resolution info can be found in the owner's manual from practically all but a couple of manufacturers. LG should def have those listed.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« labels | 15" MacBook Pro V. 13" MacBook Pro (Retina) »