Preview keeps "loading"
    I am using a very large map of a game in Preview as a guide in order to 100% Super Metroid. Whenever I edit the image to mark off collectables I have it will wait for a few seconds of inactivity from me then update the whole image, leaving me with the spinning beach ball of death for about a minute and a half. How do I get it to stop whatever it is it is doing besides keeping the image in continuous motion to avoid inactivity?

Other Info - the file is 33.6MB .png and is 16896 X 14336
    I use a 13" mid 2012 Macbook Air and have a projector hooked up to it to display the image alongside the television.
    Memory 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 512 MB
    Software OS X 10.8.3 (12D78)

http://www.snesmaps.com/maps/SuperMe...idMapZebes.png Super Metroid - Planet Zebes Complete Map - SNES Super Nintendo

Specs:
    2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)
    Quote Originally Posted by scuba2006 View Post
    Other Info - the file is 33.6MB .png and is 16896 X 14336
    I use a 13" mid 2012 Macbook Air and have a projector hooked up to it to display the image alongside the television.
    Those two right there are your problem - that's a huge image file and trying to run two displays at the same time from an MBA (which, relatively speaking, is underpowered compared to other Macs) is asking a lot from your machine. Granted, other applications might do a better job but no software is going to overcome the intrinsic limits of both the picture and the hardware arrangement you've got set up.
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

Understandable, but the processing speed of anything I try bring up (e.g. browsers, etc.) are unaffected, so I don't think it's a limitation of my hardware but rather the software. I just need to get it to quite "microsaving" (for lack of a better term, because then it re-saves to entire file. I have no trouble zooming, viewing, etc. if I don't edit, and all I am doing is putting down shapes to cover up what I don't want to see anymore to mark it as complete.

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    Have you considered simply reducing the resolution of the map somewhat? That's FAR beyond what your projector is capable of showing.

Specs:
    2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)
    Quote Originally Posted by scuba2006 View Post
    I just need to get it to quite "microsaving" (for lack of a better term, because then it re-saves to entire file. I have no trouble zooming, viewing, etc. if I don't edit, and all I am doing is putting down shapes to cover up what I don't want to see anymore to mark it as complete.
    Most other image viewers will not automatically save content (Preview, in making use of OS X's versioning functionality, does this constantly). However, a simpler solution would be the one chas made - is there any reason that the image needs to be so large?
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

Thread Information