New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Aliases

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Edmound

Edmound is on a distinguished road

Hi
I'm a relatively new user to iMacs, so this question will probably be a doddle for more experienced users.
Problem is that I'm finding that .pdf files which I've stored in various folders will open initially but sometimes when I try to open them a message comes up that says "The alias 'xyz.pdf' can't be opened because the original item can't be found".
Any suggestions would be appreciated
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

That error message is simply telling you that the original file from which you made the alias has either been deleted or moved. When that happens, the alias you created no longer points to the original file, hence, the error.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Are the original files on an external drive? If so re-connect the drive and try using the alias again.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
Edmound

Thanks Moderator
The thing that I don't understand is that I'm not intending to create an alias.
If I want to file something as a .pdf for future reference, say from the net or sent as an attachment to an email, is there a step that I'm missing that will enable the .pdf to be a stand alone file?
I must admit that I did recently delete everything from Downloads, thinking that either I'd viewed them and no longer needed them or that I'd filed them in another folder. So that could be the problem - except that there are .pdfs in folders that do still open normally.
There is a basic lack of understanding here on my part, for which I apologise.
Regards
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmound View Post
I must admit that I did recently delete everything from Downloads, thinking that either I'd viewed them and no longer needed them or that I'd filed them in another folder. So that could be the problem - except that there are .pdfs in folders that do still open normally.
There is a basic lack of understanding here on my part, for which I apologise.
Regards
I suspect that is what broke the connection between the original (parent) file and its alias. The original was probably in the Download folder when you cleaned things out. Don't feel bad we have all done it at one time or another.

Heres a list of several ways to create pdf files. Take a look at the method that involves using the command option drag method. Could you possibly have done that by mistake?

Those methods will cover making pdfs from most files. If a file is already a pdf. and you right click the link you can choose download linked file from the menu. The file will be stored in your Downloads folder.

I suspect you were trying to move the original files and made aliases instead. Perhaps this will help.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
Edmound

Thanks for your assistance guys.
I'll need to find time next week end to figure this out.
Regards
Edmound
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iCloud Calendar | Merging folders with duplicate names »