New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Help with links and browser preference

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

julieae

julieae is on a distinguished road

All of a sudden any email attachment or clickable link on a Safari page opens in Firefox, which I also have installed on my Mac. This just started happening this week and I have had my Mac for several months. Can someone advise me as to how to change it back? Also, any idea how it changed and what I need to watch for so it won't happen again?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Open Safari Preferences, click on the General Tab, and make sure that Safari is your default browser. It sounds like Firefox assigned itself to be the default.
QUOTE Thanks
julieae

Ta-Da!! I knew someone here would have the answer. Thanks so much.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Chrome does the same thing. For a new user, it can be confusing because it goes unnoticed. I believe Opera is the only browser that does not display that behavior. If I remember correctly, you have to specifically set it up as the default from preferences.
QUOTE Thanks
julieae

I have seen that question several times, about making FF my default, and I have always said no. Safari was always the browser that I use and clicking on links that came in email or on webpages that I was reading always used to open a new tab in Safari. Recently, the problem that I had was not that FF became my default but that subsequent windows opened by clicking on links, opened in FF.

So, you are saying that some where or time, I did allow this to happen? If so, I really am not paying nearly enough attention to what I'm doing, lol!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Pop - ad.yieldmanager | Chicken of the VNC »