New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

SSD Upgrade on MBP 15" Retina

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jt1968

jt1968 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" Retina, 8GB RAM, 250GB SSD, Intel i7 2.3GHz.

I've had my MBP 15" Retina since May 3, and I'm already thinking I might need more HD space. My iTunes library is 51GB, and I have a 40GB Windows 7 Boot Camp partition (for many programs I still use that are Windows-only, such as MIDI control and music synthesizer programming programs, as well as a few older games I still like to play that are Windoze-only). At the moment, I'm not short on space, but I can certainly see myself running out of space at some point in the near-future.

My questions for the Mac Forum gurus are:

1) Can an iTunes library be safely copied to an external HD and used as the default iTunes library location?

2) Can Apple upgrade (or remove and install a new, larger-capacity) the SSD drive? If so, what do they charge for this?

3) As an alternative, can an authorized Apple service center install a new SSD? Would there be a good reason to go this route over having Apple do it?

TIA for any info!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
iPhone 6 Plus 64GB / MacBook Pro 15" w/ Retina Display (2012)
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Some answers....

1. Yes, you can move your iTunes library to an external hard drive and use it as the default. Instructions are here.

2. I don't know if Apple would replace the SSD for you, however, they will replace hard drives for a fee. You would have to ask them directly what they charge for the service. Having said that, Other World Computing sells a replaceable SSD for the Retina and includes instructions. I believe you could probably do the job yourself. And no, I do not know if that would void your warranty. (Before you ask.)

3. Authorized Apple Service center - same as 2. above.
QUOTE Thanks
jt1968

jt1968 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" Retina, 8GB RAM, 250GB SSD, Intel i7 2.3GHz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Some answers....

1. Yes, you can move your iTunes library to an external hard drive and use it as the default. Instructions are here.

2. I don't know if Apple would replace the SSD for you, however, they will replace hard drives for a fee. You would have to ask them directly what they charge for the service. Having said that, Other World Computing sells a replaceable SSD for the Retina and includes instructions. I believe you could probably do the job yourself. And no, I do not know if that would void your warranty. (Before you ask.)

3. Authorized Apple Service center - same as 2. above.
Chscag,

Thanks for the reply! I will try #1, and look into #2 or #3. I guess I should've paid extra for a 500 or 750GB SSD in the first place.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
iPhone 6 Plus 64GB / MacBook Pro 15" w/ Retina Display (2012)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook Air Shows Folder With ? When I Open It | remove my old printer completely »