New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

question for Firefox for Mac users

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jannAZ

jannAZ is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: mac laptop OS X, ver 10.5.7

Hi.

I'm getting reminders it's time to update to the latest version of FF.

I was wondering if anyone has done so yet, and if so, have you encountered any difficulties with it?

I ask because the last upgrade resulted in a "Well, this is embarrassing..." message on opening, if I closed all tabs before closing the previous session. Supposedly this problem was to be addressed in the next update.

So now I want to make sure I'm not going to have even worse problems!

My Mac is a MacBook with OXS 10.6.8

Thanks in advance
Jann
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Which version are you trying to upgrade to? Mozilla pushes out a new version roughly every six weeks. That said, most new releases are pretty safe since the changes aren't anywhere near as drastic as they used to be when Mozilla released a new version every few months.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
Mozilla pushes out a new version roughly every six minutes.
There, fixed that for you.

But seriously, if you accept EVERY new revision of FF you'll be spending an awful lot of time reinstalling. I would suggest you ignore the upgrades until a major, stable release comes along (as Van said, about every six weeks -- still far too often but that's them).
QUOTE Thanks
jannAZ

jannAZ is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: mac laptop OS X, ver 10.5.7

I'm not sure what version update it's telling me is available. Is there a way to find out without downloading it?

Believe me, I don't EVER update immediately, except that one time when I shouldn't have. I have it set to notify me when updates are available. This is the first one I've seen since the last one, which was about 6 weeks ago.

I was hoping someone who had downloaded the newest and was using it could tell me if it was working properly. I'm about ready to dump FF.

Thanks
J
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannAZ View Post
I was hoping someone who had downloaded the newest and was using it could tell me if it was working properly. I'm about ready to dump FF.
I've never had an issue with Firefox and that goes for the most recent version. Now, I am running the beta but if anything, that should make the risks even greater.

If you're ready to dump Firefox, go for it. There are a number of fine free browsers available for OS X including Chrome, Opera and Safari.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« HELP! Safari not playing videos | I'm having Mac Indecision Syndrome. »