New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

noise

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

lordchukz

lordchukz is on a distinguished road

hi fellow forum users, i'm new here. i encountered a problem with my MacBook Pro, and felt i might get some response here. all of a sudden, my mac makes much mechanical noise coming from within. do you think this is a big problem? thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Depending on your model there are only three things that can make a mechanical noise;
the optical drive
the hard disk
the cooling fan(s)

My bet is that it's the fan(s)

Which Mac do you have and how old is it?

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

Can you tell us more about your MacBook Pro's configuration? Does it have an SSD or a hard drive? In my experience, mechanical noise is typically from a hard drive (most folks recognize the sound of a fan pretty easily). If this is the case, you need to back up your hard drive quickly - mechanical noise from a hard drive is usually a leading indicator of hard drive failure, and in the very near future. Back up as quickly as possible.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
alicepattinson

alicepattinson is on a distinguished road

I had this problem and it's the fan it has a lot of dirt already. hihihi
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Dropbox | Classic iTunes question »