New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

advice for a recently "fixed" Macbook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

xkushx

xkushx is on a distinguished road

ok, so long story short, cousin gave me his macbook becuz he got a new one, and he thought his late 2007 macbook was broken. turns out, the HDD was bad, and the optical drive is shot. i swaped out the HDD for my friends, i bought a snow leopard 10.6 os x cd from CL, and tried to copy the files and open them on the macbook but it couldnt read them. now when i put the os x cd i bought into my windows 7 pc, it says "windows support" next to DVD RW DRIVE. how can i put the files from the cd to a flash drive? also i tried to use my flash drive to copy and paste the files but i had to format the disk, so now it doesnt read the flash drive on my windows 7 pc.
(just a reminder i CAN NOT use my optical drive, so i need to use a usb drive)
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

You can do three things:

- replace the MacBook's bad optical drive
- you could get/use an external USB optical drive
- If you have access to two Macintosh computers...you can install Snow Leopard onto your MacBook with the new HD via "target disk Mode"

How to use and troubleshoot FireWire target disk mode

You will need a firewire cable...AND...the "other" Macintosh computer must be able to boot from the Snow Leopard disk. If this 2nd Mac is too new to boot from the SL disk...then it won't work (you cannot boot a Mac with an OS version older than what it originally shipped with).

HTH,

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Take a can of compressed air and shoot 3-4 quick blasts through the slot of the optical drive in different directions - see if that will clean the lens and allow you to boot from the 10.6 disc.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
xkushx

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
Take a can of compressed air and shoot 3-4 quick blasts through the slot of the optical drive in different directions - see if that will clean the lens and allow you to boot from the 10.6 disc.
ok thanks, will do. and also, for some reason the optical drive doesnt seem to read any of the disc's i insert in it, be it a CD or DVD it just spits it out without even so much as having the little rainbow loading thing spin. might the compressed air help with that ??
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

It might... While slot load drives do tend to die more frequently than tray load drives, my '06 MBP quits reading discs about once a year. So far, that has done the trick to get it working again.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
xkushx

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
You can do three things:

- replace the MacBook's bad optical drive
- you could get/use an external USB optical drive
- If you have access to two Macintosh computers...you can install Snow Leopard onto your MacBook with the new HD via "target disk Mode"

How to use and troubleshoot FireWire target disk mode

You will need a firewire cable...AND...the "other" Macintosh computer must be able to boot from the Snow Leopard disk. If this 2nd Mac is too new to boot from the SL disk...then it won't work (you cannot boot a Mac with an OS version older than what it originally shipped with).

HTH,

- Nick
damn it, my cousin has a new macbook with OSX Mountain Lion, so he wouldnt be able to do the whole 2 macbook SL install.
so would it still work to use an external dvd drive even tho the os x cd now for some reason says "windows supported" or i think it says "windows compatable" when its inserted in the dvd drive on my pc.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkushx View Post
...so would it still work to use an external dvd drive even tho the os x cd now for some reason says "windows supported" or i think it says "windows compatable" when its inserted in the dvd drive on my pc.
Let's just say there's no reason to be inserting a Mac OS X install disk into a Windows computer!

If you have an external USB optical drive compatible with a Macintosh computer...then yes...it should work.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
Tarek

Tarek has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
It might... While slot load drives do tend to die more frequently than tray load drives, my '06 MBP quits reading discs about once a year. So far, that has done the trick to get it working again.
The optical drive on my early '08 MacBook Pro died about a year after purchase, and I kept using cleaner discs with the tiny brushes and the solution until the lens had just about enough and quit working forever. My friends had the same issues on their Macs as well, I truly am disappointed with the optical drives on the MacBooks. I sure wish my '10 Mac's optical drive doesn't die on me, but then again I rarely use it so it won't matter much. lol
QUOTE Thanks
xkushx

Quote:
Let's just say there's no reason to be inserting a Mac OS X install disk into a Windows computer!

If you have an external USB optical drive compatible with a Macintosh computer...then yes...it should work.

- Nick
thanks for that i just put the osx onto a usb and booted from a usb. thanks though. hey i was wondering, i want to wipe out my hard drive and install the osx via usb with a clean hard drive, but i have no idea if i can do it, or how i would do it.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkushx View Post
thanks for that i just put the osx onto a usb and booted from a usb. thanks though. hey i was wondering, i want to wipe out my hard drive and install the osx via usb with a clean hard drive, but i have no idea if i can do it, or how i would do it.
Regardless of the method used to boot the computer...you need to launch Disk Utility to do what you want to do to prepare the HD for the 10.6 install.

-Nick

QUOTE Thanks
xkushx

Quote:
Regardless of the method used to boot the computer...you need to launch Disk Utility to do what you want to do to prepare the HD for the 10.6 install.

-Nick
thanks everyone for all the great advice, i found a video on how to wipe the HD and do a fully fresh, clean install. if i wanted to watch videos from my macbook to my HDTV. i know i'd need an adapter, but since my macbook doesnt have "thunderbolt" i'd need an audio cable but at the same time this video i saw said i'd need a video cable as well, i will post a link to the video here.

How to connect my macbook to my TV - YouTube
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mail | Attempting to download Mountain Lion (poor internet) »