New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Need Advice About SSD

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

blackph0enix

blackph0enix is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 15in Mid 2012(2.6 GHz Intel Core i7) iPhone 5 64GB,iPad 4 128GB,iPod Touch 4G 64GB

I am receiving MacBook Pro in two weeks, and I was looking into upgrading with SSD. I was wondering for those who have made the switch what would you recommend. I am leaning towards the OCZ Vertex 4 256GB. I would prefer it to be 256GB SSD. The specs will be below.

Apple MacBook Pro, 15.4" Glossy widescreen display, 2.6GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7 with Ivy Bridge, 8GB 1600MHz memory, 750GB Serial ATA Drive.

Thanks In Advance!

"A wise man told me don't argue with fools,
because people from a distance can't tell who is who
"
QUOTE Thanks
Thatguy16

Thatguy16 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 2012 Mac Mini: 500GB-8GH : iPad 2 64GB

May I ask why you want to downgrade?

Everyone hates cliffhanger endings because..

Found my advice useful? Use the reputation button in the upper-right corner of my post!
QUOTE Thanks
blackph0enix

Mac Specs: MBP 15in Mid 2012(2.6 GHz Intel Core i7) iPhone 5 64GB,iPad 4 128GB,iPod Touch 4G 64GB

Honestly didn't know it was a downgrade, but I'm not that familiar with the laptop side of things. I have just been told to upgrade to SSD for optimal results.

"
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Here are the specs and configurations. An SSD self installed will be much cheaper than getting Apple to supply and install. Use a OCZ Vertex in an external caddy and quite happy with it. Also consider OWC.

Apple - MacBook Pro - Technical Specifications

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
blackph0enix

Thank you for the information and yes I've seen plenty of walk-through videos on it. It seems pretty straight forward I was going to do it myself when I do it.

"
QUOTE Thanks
Thatguy16

Quote:
I have just been told to upgrade to SSD for optimal results.
Im guessing that the person who said this used a PC for gaming?
An SSD will give you more speed, but the core i7 i believe your SATA will be plenty fast. (And cheeper)

I believe it is a downgrade as you would be giving up a big hard drive size for more money, i just bought my first big hard drive and i love the feeling of never getting close to going over the limit!

Found my advice useful? Use the reputation button in the upper-right corner of my post!
QUOTE Thanks
blackph0enix

Ok I see what you mean now. Honestly I don't need anywhere near 750GB though and a few of them were gamers, but they mostly referred to overall speed being much better. Right now I have 455GB HDD and I have 333GB left so I don't know how much HDD I will actually need.

"
QUOTE Thanks
Thatguy16

Well if your nearing 350gB now there is no sense in getting a 250 GB sdd,

It may be true you don't need the space, but it is nice to have it.

QUOTE Thanks
blackph0enix

I haven't had a Mac in awhile so it will probably feel fast already, I think I will stick with the original configuration.

Thanks

"
QUOTE Thanks
audunk

audunk is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13' Macbook Air 2011 Mac OS Maverick 10.9.3

l bought an SSD hard drive after l broke the regular one in my old PC. The improvement in speed was really impressive. lts almost 3 years ago, and l bought my mac a little over 6 months later so l don't remember exactly on what it improved the most, but especially opening programs and going through explorer was a lot faster. The startup also was very fast, and the battery life improved significantly too if l remember correctly.
l will definitely go for an SSD drive the next time as well. l dont play games on the computer, just use it for internet, watch movies and for my photos.
l have a 256 GB SSD drive now, and its sufficient space for me. Room enough for plenty of programs and some videos/music/photos. But l have to have my photos and most of my movies on an external drive, which is a bit of a hassle. But its worth it, IMO.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

I would wait on that SSD since prices are likely to continue to come down. The machine is plenty fast as-is and it doesn't sound like you have any particular need for the speed boost on this brand-new machine.
QUOTE Thanks
blackph0enix

You guys are right now that I think about it it's not a necessity. I will also take more HDD space over speed any day in a Mac. I think I just got carried away lol.

Thanks to all that helped.

"
QUOTE Thanks
blackph0enix

Quote:
Originally Posted by audunk View Post
l bought an SSD hard drive after l broke the regular one in my old PC. The improvement in speed was really impressive. lts almost 3 years ago, and l bought my mac a little over 6 months later so l don't remember exactly on what it improved the most, but especially opening programs and going through explorer was a lot faster. The startup also was very fast, and the battery life improved significantly too if l remember correctly.
l will definitely go for an SSD drive the next time as well. l dont play games on the computer, just use it for internet, watch movies and for my photos.
l have a 256 GB SSD drive now, and its sufficient space for me. Room enough for plenty of programs and some videos/music/photos. But l have to have my photos and most of my movies on an external drive, which is a bit of a hassle. But its worth it, IMO.
Yeah that is what people were telling me. At this point though I just don't see the point in lowering HDD space for speed because I am told they are quite speedy already.

Thanks for your opinion and good information on your experience.

"
QUOTE Thanks
MBPi5

MBPi5 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Intel core i5, 120gb SSD, 2.3GHZ, 4gb RAM, Macbook Pro 13 inch 2011 model

Im running an OWC Mercury Extreme pro and i get ridiculous boot times and write/read speeds... it is NOT a downgrade. take the ATA HDD out and put it in an enclosure as a external HDD and put the SSD in the HDD bay

13" Macbook Pro intel core i5
Iphone 4S.
SR
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

MacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 5S, iPad mini, 13" MBP and MacMini

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBPi5 View Post
Im running an OWC Mercury Extreme pro and i get ridiculous boot times and write/read speeds... it is NOT a downgrade. take the ATA HDD out and put it in an enclosure as a external HDD and put the SSD in the HDD bay
If you do that, get the kit from OWC that will let you put the HDD into the optical drive bay and move the optical drive to an external enclosure. That will let you have the storage with you with just the machine, and only if you want to read/write CD/DVDs will you need to lug the external enclosure. That's what I have done and I really like the quick boots and tons of storage.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook Air Stolen - Need Advice Please | Folders in mac mail »