New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Volume problems

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

sbg_123

sbg_123 is on a distinguished road

Problem: no sound, volume control not working.
Work performed by Apple store: checked unit, no audio from internal speakers or headphone jack. Tested with good external speaker. Problem not resolved
Apple store recommendation: MLB replacement. Logic Board 2.8Ghz.
Cost: Philippine peso 48,100 = USD 1,117
This is shocking since my 13" laptop Pro was purchased in only Feb 2012. This is my very first Mac and thoroughly disappointing.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

All Apple products come with 1 year of AppleCare from the date of purchase. Did you by any chance extend that to 2 more years? If not, you were quoted the out of warranty price to fix your MBP.

If the audio was working fine for a long time and stopped, it'd be hard to prove/show a manufacturing defect that would be likely fixed by Apple at no cost to you. But having something fail over a year past purchase and even longer after manufacturing might indicate user fault..

The average price for a Logic Board replacement in the US is around $750-$800..unfortunately a large portion of the price of a new MBP..and if the MBP was old enough, people just move onto a new one, but yours is only 1 year old so it's quite a dilemma..

You might also want to contact any third party repair shops to see if they can do the Logic Board replacement for cheaper than what Apple has quoted you.

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
All Apple products come with 1 year of AppleCare from the date of purchase. Did you by any chance extend that to 2 more years?
Yep. Always buy the extended warranty, especially for a laptop. It's a machine. Machines break. Sorry it happened to you. However, I bet someone can provide statistics indicating that Apple computers are more reliable than most other brands. You are unfortunately one of very few that this has happened to, relatively speaking.
QUOTE Thanks
sbg_123

sbg_123 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for responses and suggestions - unfortunately, I did not extend the warranty beyond the 12 months - an expensive mistake as it happens.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Who knows how good the Apple techs are there.

Try a SMC reset -- link.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbg_123 View Post
Thanks for responses and suggestions - unfortunately, I did not extend the warranty beyond the 12 months - an expensive mistake as it happens.
Ahh, yes...it's just a level of security for 3 years and after that you can decide to either part it out, sell as is or repair based on what's broken and you know something newer/cooler is out for you to upgrade to..

So, do seek out other repair shops and see what they say. Apple is definitely going to come in at a higher price.

Alternatively, you could also explore doing the work yourself using the iFixIt guides if you can find the Logic Board at a decent price and you are so inclined..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« USB 3.0 PCIE for snow leopard | Thunderbolt to Firewire connect »