Thread: time machine

time machine
    I am a new time machine user. Why is my applications folder empty in the back up. I want to back up my applications as well.

Victoria, BC
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    Is it possible you excluded it from being backed up? By default, Time Machine backs up EVERYTHING and does not exclude anything on the boot drive.

Perhaps you are actually looking at the /Users/(you)/Applications folder? This is normally empty on both your drive and on any backups (of course).

North Louisiana, USA
    2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone 6+
    I think chas_m is right. On a regular OS X installation there are multiple Applications folders. One at the root level of the drive and one inside each users User (Home) folder. When checking the backup make sure you are looking in the Applications folder at the root level of the drive.
    Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling

time machine
    I am a new Time Machine user. My applications folder is empty in the back up. I would like to back up my apps in this fodler. Does any know the answer to this one? Thanks

Texas, where else?
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    Do you want to be able to restore your system in case your hard drive dies from the Time Machine backup? Can only say, do not play with that backup. e.g. hands off if you want it to work.

My guess is that you are looking at the Applications folder in your users home folder in the backup and not the root Applications folder. Almost all apps will be in the root folder, not the users home folder.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Fort Worth, Texas
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan

Do not cross post. You were already give the answer to your question when you posted in the Switcher forum. Why post the same thing again? Note that your question again was answered in the same way.

I merged everything together here. Again, do not cross post.

Thread Information