New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Printing to a Windows 7 shared Printer

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

EverettH

EverettH is on a distinguished road

I am having a very hard time getting my 2006 Macbook running Snow Leopard to print to my Kodak ESP 3250 printer that is shared from my Windows 7 PC. I have tried the LPD settings as suggested by Microsoft and tried using the PC IP address for the address to the printer rather than the PC name. Neither of these worked. When I had it set up as the Generic PostScript Printer Driver on the Mac, it would send the print job to the printer, but then an error would pop up on my PC saying that the printer may need attention. The printer had the message "printing" with the progress bar working, but it would not print. When I use the Kodak driver, I get an error on the Mac that it won't communicate with the printer. Super frustrated and about to do away with the Mac. Just bought a Mac Mini that I'm going to return to Best Buy if I can't get this to work. Any suggestions? Perhaps a different driver for the printer or something.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

If you look at this link about firmware and drivers states will work with powerPC G4. That may be the problem. Lexmark for one just keep stating 'compatible with OS X.4, X.5, X.6 etc' and not updating drivers since Tiger.

KODAK ESP 3250 All-in-One Printer Firmware - MACINTOSH Operating Systems

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
EverettH

Well, that stinks. One thing that I was able to do to make it work was to share it with an Airport Extreme, but then I couldn't use the scan function, which completely defeats the purpose of having a multifunction printer. So, I bought an Iomega Printer Auto-sharing switch, so I could hook the printer to my PC and the Airport, but then neither computer would print to it.
QUOTE Thanks
EverettH

Is it easier to share a printer from a mac to a pc?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Stinks particularly when a PowerPC G4 cannot even run OS X.6, X.7 or X.8.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
EverettH

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettH View Post
Is it easier to share a printer from a mac to a pc?
What I meant was is it easier to share a printer connected directly to a Mac and have the windows pc print to it?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

You will drive yourself mad trying to connect to this shared via a Windows 7 machine, though it may be easier to go the other way around, given that Windows can dynamically shift output to different ports. Even still, it's not a terribly straightforward process, particularly since Kodak is mostly defunct and therefore driver support (and support in general) is pretty much ended.

A better bet would be to just purchase a printer that has built-in networking. This way you needn't have a machine turned on at all times acting as a server and you can print to it from any machine in your household.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Why does my mac keep freezing? | New iMac. What gives with Youtube speed? »