New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

need to delete FF browser

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jannAZ

jannAZ is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: mac laptop OS X, ver 10.5.7

I just downloaded the latest FF updates and the browser hasn't worked right since. It keeps telling me it cant do something (I'm not sure what) with my last session. I've tried everything I can think of following FF's instructions - no luck. I want to delete the old, updated, reset and everything else browser and start fresh.

I have never deleted a browser on any of my Mac's. I wasn't sure where to look for simple basic instructions, so am starting here.

I have a laptop with OS X 10.6.8

Thanks in advance
Jann
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

A Time Machine backup would be the fastest and easiest way, but judging by your post I'm guessing you don't have one.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

If it's just the browser itself drag it from Applications to the trash and empty. If it's something in the preferences, you would have to either manually delete them or use a program like App Delete which should zap it all for you.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannAZ View Post
It keeps telling me it cant do something (I'm not sure what) with my last session.
It would be helpful to know what this is. Can you relaunch it and let us know what it says?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannAZ View Post
I've tried everything I can think of following FF's instructions - no luck.
What did you try?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
jannAZ

Dtravis - Thank you! That's exactly what I was trying to determine. I know you drag unwanted documents to the trash, but wasn't sure deleting a browser worked the same way, or where to find what I was supposed to drag.

Rox - thank you. I have the capacity, but setting it up looks way too complicated for me

Vansmith - I know that was pretty vague, but by the time I posted here, I couldn't begin to remember everything I had tried. When I tried to get the message to come back up, of course it would't. I made it go away by setting FF to "not remember" my browsing history. That was worse than having that message appear (and I still can't recall word for word what it said) so I re-set to "to remember", thinking I could live with the message until I could de-install FF. The funny thing was, it appears to have corrected itself. Which makes me wonder if it was FF itself having problems, rather than my browser????

The one good thing that came of this was that I learned how to export my FF bookmarks to Safari. Woo hoo.

Thank you all for trying to help.
Jann
QUOTE Thanks
newscribe

newscribe has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2010 Macbook - OS X 10.9 - iPhone 4s - iPod - iPad

Quote:
A Time Machine backup would be the fastest and easiest way, but judging by your post I'm guessing you don't have one.
Quote:
Rox - thank you. I have the capacity, but setting it up looks way too complicated for me
Buy a external HD and with disk utility format to Mac OS extended (journaled) Job done.

Plug it in and run time machine, have a look here.
Mac Basics: Time Machine
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2013-04-16 at 17.59.09.png (181.7 KB, 23 views)
QUOTE Thanks
jannAZ

FWIW, I looked at Mozilla this AM and it turns out my problem, a screen that comes up "This is embarassing. FF is having trouble recovering....etc etc." IS a FF problem which will "be addressed in future updates"
Oh, yeah? Thanks a LOT, FF and Mozilla. Why didn't you check before you released a faulty update????
Anyhow, thanks, guys for trying to help.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Connecting Macbook 5.2 to TV | where's the "Mobile Documents" folder? »