New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Iphoto on time machine

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Scotttyd

Scotttyd is on a distinguished road

So, I just reformated my old pc external hard drive to the mac format. I did a backup with time machine. When I open up my photos via my external hard drive on iphoto (simply clicking on my hard drive and going to photos, and i photo - the pictures seemed to instantly download - and I wanted to be sure I was simply not opening them up on my internal hard drive and indeed did have a backed up copy.

Another reason I ask this is that I plan on having two external harddrives and making two copies of each photo and leaving my hard drive relatively clear. I take A LOT of photos - it is a hobby of mine and I will probably quickly fill up my 125 gb SSD internal harddrive.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Time Machine backs up EVERYTHING unless you explicitly tell it to exclude certain items. So yes, the iPhone app and the iPhoto library are backed up on Time Machine.
QUOTE Thanks
oldaudio

oldaudio is on a distinguished road

So, from reading this I take it that it's OK to delete photos from my startup disc? Startup disc is almost full, 98GB drive is at 97.5 GB. How can I be sure the photos are actually on the (160GB) time machine drive before I start deleting them?
Thanks, Mike
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

On the external backup HD there should be a folder called backups. You can navigate this to find the iPhoto Library folder, "show package contents" and check around (don't move anything!) to see if all your photos and such are there.

I don't recommend your plan, however. Given the importance of digital photos, you'd be wiser to back up the photo library to another external drive and use that as it's new home, also still making a backup before deleting anything from your boot drive. I agree that you need to do this NOW, since .5GB is WAAAAAAAAAAAY too little space for the Mac to operate probably and you are risking catastrophe.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Wannabe Mac owner but need advice | Import Bookmarks »