New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

iDVD

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Raejo

Raejo is on a distinguished road

I would really like to iDVD which apple no longer provide with their latest version and also do not supply support for. I believe that iDVD forms part of iLife now but wonder what version is safe to use should I be able to buy a second hand copy and am I able to isolate and only instal iDVD. Please tell me how to do so if possible. Raejo
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

You can buy a disk of iLife '09 (the last to include iDVD) from a seller on places like Craigslist, Amazon, Ebay etc.

The installer for the disk will let you do a custom install of just the app you want. I can confirm that iDVD still works on Mountain Lion (not that you told us what version of the OS you have, mind you ...)
QUOTE Thanks
Raejo

Hi Chas thanks for your reply. Yes I do have iMac OS X A10.8.3 (MOUNTAIN LION). I was of the understanding that the last iLife to include iDVD was No. 11 - I must be wrong. I may have a go as it seems to be a great program.Raejo
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

The box set version of iLife 11 includes iDVD.

You can likely find iLife 09 cheaper and iDVD is vs. 7 in both.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Thanks for correcting me, Tom, I did not know that.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
The box set version of iLife 11 includes iDVD.

You can likely find iLife 09 cheaper and iDVD is vs. 7 in both.
Did not realize / did not know the version of iLife was the same on both discs. Good to know since I cannot find my iLive '11 discs. at the moment. I have replaced the rest of the software through the Apple store.

I personally like iDVD and wish they would either continue revising it or at least make it a bit more stable. I have not seen any program yet, other than perhaps the components in previous versions of Final Cut, with templates that nice.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Yeah, when I was checking, the iDVD version in iLife 11 just had a more current update.

Actually iDVD version 7 is also part of iLife 08.
So, no changes to iDVD since then except a couple of updates which you can get using Software Update.
How much longer it will continue to work is anyone's guess.
I'd think it could be broken at any future OS update/upgrade.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Excellent I think I can find the '08 disc. It seems to crash more frequently for me than I would like. Maybe because in the past I have been doing projects that are at / near the limit for the length of DVD it does well.

Maybe the additional memory I installed this week will help out a bit with that.

QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

Actually, iDVD tends to crash if it can't find enough *contiguous free disk space* to create the GIGANTIC temporary files it needs to create during the multiplexing and burning process.

Figure you need at *least* 8X the free space available (preferably much more) than what the final product (4.7GB) DVD will require in order to have a smooth iDVD experience. RAM doesn't play much of a role with DVD creation.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

I know I have much more free space than that but had not thought about it needing to be contiguous. I always figured that it needed a bit more memory than I had (4GB). I'll give that idea a try as soon as I find the discs.

QUOTE Thanks
Raejo

Hi Again, I have looked at the iLife 11 version of iDVD and in it there a host of templates called Older Ones (I think it is) - you cannot download them any longer. Does anyone have them or know how I can get them to add to the iDVD I now have?? There are about 20 or 30 of them. When you click on them it says you have to go to the internet to download them but when you do that it won't allow you to. Help!
Thanks Raejo
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Back up disc question for mac mini | video importing from panasonic SDR-S50 »