New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

video importing from panasonic SDR-S50

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

slidelock

slidelock is on a distinguished road

My Mac won't import video from my Panasonic SDR-S50 camcorder. I have imported the video clip I need to a PC and put it on my Time Machine hard drive but can't convert it from a MOD to a file that Mac understands. Please help. I searched online for a free file converter but now I have a watermark or no audio. There has to be a free file conversion that has no watermark and audio. Right?
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

MacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 4S, iPad (Retina), 13" MBP and MacMini

What Mac? What version of OSX? What application are you using to import? How is the camera connected? What messages do you get when you try to import from the camera? How did you put the video clip on the TM Drive? What did you do to convert it?

Hard to help with so little data.
QUOTE Thanks
slidelock

I'm sorry I didn't think it was important. I'm using an iMac and running Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5 (11G63). I took the 16GB Kingston SD card memory card out and put it in the slot on the right side of the iMac screen and the screen then reads (Preparing import from 'CAM_SD'...), but it never imports anything. I then put the card in a Toshiba Satellite laptop and the file was imported but it is a MOD file, which plays fine on the Toshiba. Then I wirelessly copied it to my 1GB Time Capsule, which appears on my iMac but won't play. It reads
Unreadable Files: 1
The following file could not be imported. (the file is an unrecognized format.) /Volumes/CAM_SD/SD_VIDEO/PRG001/MOV001.MOD

Thanks for your response.
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

MacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 4S, iPad (Retina), 13" MBP and MacMini

With a search, I found several converters, none free. I don't have a camcorder, so I can't test any of them. Here are two links I found that you can explore:

Convert MOD to MP4
iSkysoft converter

I found one reference that says VLC will play MOD files, but I didn't see it on the VLC website and I don't have any to test. It's free so you could try that to see if it does work.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Avoid iSkysoft (and similarly-named companies). Chinese spammers.
QUOTE Thanks
MightyGem

MightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. White MacBook, 10.8.5. iPhone 3GS.

MPEGStreamclip(free) will convert .mod files.
Squared 5 - MPEG Streamclip video converter for Mac OS X

If you're use iMovie11, then this page says that it should import ok.
Apple - iLife '11 Help - iMovie '11 Supported Cameras
QUOTE Thanks
slidelock

Thank you for everybody's advice. However, I feel kinda silly since it worked on iMovie and I hadn't even tried it before I posted. Still learning....
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iDVD | iCal Acting Strange »