New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Issues with Flash Player on iMac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Chaz75

Chaz75 is on a distinguished road

Hi All,

Can anyone help me out? When I tried to update my iMac to the latest version of Flash Player it failed, and kept bringing up an error message. I had removed the previous version, so don't understand what could have happened.

I have the latest updates of Mountain Lion and this install worked fine on my Apple laptop so I'm really confused.

Any suggestions would be welcome!

Thanks in advance!

Chaz
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz75 View Post
When I tried to update my iMac to the latest version of Flash Player it failed, and kept bringing up an error message.
What was this error message?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

and are you getting it direct from adobe.com?

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
Chaz75

Hi Guys,

I've attached a screenshot of the message which comes up from Adobe.

When a request the download, I get the installer fine, and then it even downloads, and as it's about to reach the end of the download, this message appears.

Any ideas?

Cheers!

Chaz
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2013-04-03 at 07.58.03.png (1.39 MB, 25 views)
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Yes, it's a corrupted download. I strongly suspect it's on Adobe's end, they are using an updated installer.

My advice is to just give it a couple of days if you can.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

What is strange about this whole thing is after reading Chas's post went to Adobe and got the latest Flash for OSX and it installed fine. Installer looked like OP's screenshot. No error. late 2007 iMac with Mountain Lion 10.8.3.
QUOTE Thanks
Chaz75

Hi Guys,

Thanks for that - I actually have been experiencing that same problem for quite a while. I went on holiday, hoping it would solve itself when I got back, but over a month on, and it's the same message. I've sent an email to Adobe...I hope I hear back, but I really can't put my finger on the problem!

Dennis - I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. I have a (rather old) iMac, but was able to install Mountain Lion on it and that's been working fine. What do you mean by OP?

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
Chaz75

Oh - also - I did try to watch a video and it didn't work. I was sent back to Adobe instal webpage.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute

It's not a direct solution to your issue but if you install and use the Chrome browser for your Flash needs it has flash 'built-in' and doesn't rely on a system wide install of the flash player.

I've been 99% flash-free for ages now. Only dropping into Chrome where I have to use a flash website.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

The error message is clear at the end - hdiutil (Apple's disk image software) is having difficulty mounting the disk image. Why is anyone's guess but at least that's a step in the right direction. Do you have any trouble mounting other disk images?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrplow View Post
I've been 99% flash-free for ages now. Only dropping into Chrome where I have to use a flash website.
Wouldn't it just be easier to use a Flash blocker for your browser of choice?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

easier? Not really. Easier not to have something than have it and block it.

The flash-free was born of an issue I had back in the day when the flash player wouldn't close itself down properly and would destroy the battery life of my MacBook.

Rarely do I come across a site that I use that needs flash. When it does I have a little hot-keyed script that grabs the URL and opens it in Chrome.

QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrplow View Post
easier? Not really. Easier not to have something than have it and block it.
But you've installed Chrome instead (along with Flash as a result) so in reality, you have installed Flash and something else to contain it. Seems overkill no?

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

Agree to disagree?

I have and use Chrome for other things too so that's part of my 'standard build' anyway.

It's not for everyone, granted.

QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

No, I disagree!

I was under the impression that Chrome was acting as a glorified Flash container for you. Never mind then (you escape my critique for now...).

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

I'm wondering if the name of the boot drive on the OP's computer has any unusual letters or symbols in it. ISTR a case where some installers had issues with stuff like that (a bug in the installer package).
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can I listen to Audio books....... | Hi, help for a frrustrated new mac user »