New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Elongated images after upgrading to mt lion

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

fastlearner

fastlearner is on a distinguished road

AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1024 MB

The above is my video card.
I have a macbook pro.
I upgraded to Mt Lion and now images in finder or in Microsoft Word for Mac appear elongated. Long bodies and faces on people. Tried different resolutions to resolve it.
Nothing is working.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Open Display preferences from System Preferences and reset your MacBook Pro to its native resolution.
QUOTE Thanks
fastlearner

Oh how I wish it was that easy.
I tried changing screen resolution . . . tried all the options. All result in vertically stretched photos. Also the pages in MS word are elongated vertically.

Tried reseeting PRAM . . .
Can't figure this one out.

Thanks
:
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

can you post a screen shot?

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
fastlearner

Yes, I can.

The pictures on the left are what I see. The pictures on the right are how things are supposed to look.

Thanks

QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute

sorry, i know what you're describing but could do with seeing it in context, your desktop, word etc

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
fastlearner

Hum . . . okay. How do I do a screen shot?
I'd love to show you how Microsoft Word is looking.
And how it is supposed to look.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Dogbreath

Dogbreath is a jewel in the roughDogbreath is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: mid 2010 Mac Mini OS 10.6.8 (SL), 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display

COMMAND-SHIFT-3 snaps the whole screen.

COMMAND-SHIFT-4 snaps what you enclose in the crosshairs.

You will find the screenshots saved on the desktop.
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

MacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 5S, iPad mini, 13" MBP and MacMini

To my eye, the left is more normal. Try going to a website you know has a large circle. Here is one: LINK Measure it side to side and top to bottom with a ruler. I suspect your older monitor was making things too wide and now the new one is closer to correct. But the circle screen will let you actually measure to see what's going on.
QUOTE Thanks
fastlearner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbreath View Post
COMMAND-SHIFT-3 snaps the whole screen.

COMMAND-SHIFT-4 snaps what you enclose in the crosshairs.

You will find the screenshots saved on the desktop.
Cool
Okay, here it is

I'm on a macbook pro.
I have not had this problem this extreme until I updated from leopard to mt lion.

I am running windows on parallel. On that side of the computer, everything looks normal.
On the mac side, faces are elongated. On video, people are taller than they should be.
Everyone looks like they have marphan syndrome, like Abraham Lincoln.

Thanks!!!
QUOTE Thanks
fastlearner

Also, my resolsution is at 1600 x 1000
That makes it possible to read fonts and things that are way too small on mac, otherwise,
But it doesn't seem to help the elongation.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

After looking at your screen shots and photos you posted, I agree with member "MacInWin". (I too see nothing wrong.) Also, since you're not running your MBP at its native resolution, all bets are off.....
QUOTE Thanks
fastlearner

Well, I assume that the problem I have, you do not have, so your screen is rendering things
like they should look, but mine is not.

I did try running it at the recommended resolution, and it was worse. AND the font size on
Safari and other Mac windows were so small as to be nearly unreadable.

Apparently, this is not a common problem.
Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

It's hard to help if you don't post screen shots at the native resolution of the screen.

Which Mac do you have?

QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

MacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 5S, iPad mini, 13" MBP and MacMini

Try going back to the native resolution of the screen, then you can set the font sizes in Safari to be larger, or you can use Command-+ to magnify them as you need. That approach will get your pictures back into proper ratio. Commanc -- will shrink the font sizes again. Did you look at the circle I posted?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Printer is Offline message | Why should I switch to Mac ? »