New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

mac mini 2012 folder ? icon

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

golf

golf is on a distinguished road

Hi all
Really need some help here as i have messed up my new mac mini somehow i must have deleted everything of it including recoveryincluding internet recovery there is just nothing there just flashing folder & ? can not do command r or internet recovery at all, would welcome your advise please, yes you are right i didnt know what i was doing
Many Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Since the recovery partition is hidden, I don't see how you could have wiped it out unless you booted the machine with a Windows disk and overwrote everything? Can you tell us exactly what you did?
QUOTE Thanks
golf

I tried to delete my email account but couldnt so i decided to put back to factory settings i dont really know what happened then all i know is nothing that i try now works
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I tried to delete my email account but couldnt so i decided to put back to factory settings
We need to know how you put it back to factory settings? If you want help to get things up and running again, you're going to have to tell us step by step what you did.

Also, how did you try booting to recovery? Are you sure you held down the Command and R keys at the same time as soon as you heard the boot sound (Bong!)? Again, I don't see how you could have wiped out the Recovery partition since it's hidden.
QUOTE Thanks
golf

Hi to be honest i dont know what i did its hard to explain all i remember was pictures of harddrives coming up & i deleted them it is a october 2012 mac mini without dvd drive also i do not get the start up chime just goes to folder & ?icon thats it i have tried everything to get it back i was pissed when i deleted everything
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

OK, I guess we have to assume you have a dead in the water 2012 Mac Mini. The first thing I'm going to suggest is that you take it to the nearest Apple store and have the genius bar there help you to get it going again. Is there an Apple store nearby your home you can take it to?

What concerns me about your machine is that you're not getting the POST (power on self test) Bong sound when you start it up. That's not good.

I'm going to be away for the remainder of the afternoon but one of our other forum members should be able to help you out if you have any more questions.
QUOTE Thanks
golf

Thanks for your reply no apple centre by me
QUOTE Thanks
golf

is there anything i can do to get it back
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

No only as suggested by chscag. The Mini needs Mountain Lion installed and as you have wiped Recovery apparently, Apple will need to do this at a store/genius bar. Being a 2012 model Mountain Lion is the only operating system that will install drivers etc.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
golf

thanks let you know how i get on
QUOTE Thanks
golf

Hi would i be able to install mountain lion if i used a usb dvd drive & mountain lion disk or put mountain lion on usb stick or wouldnt the mac mini find them
Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Mountain Lion was never released on disc so that is a no go. Lion was released on a USB stick drive but I don't think Mountain Lion was ever released that way.

Other than going to an Apple store, here's the only thing I can think suggest that should work. You will need a thumb drive (usb stick).

1. Find a friend or neighbor that has a Mac with OS X 10.6.8 or higher.
2. Launch the App store and log into your account.
3. Download Mountain Lion but do not complete the installation. You are going to transfer the file to the stick drive following these directions. The directions and software work for Mountain Lion as well.

Once the usb drive is created you can use it to complete the re-install on your Mac. Be ware that this process erases the contents of the stick drive if you go that route. Just noticed the directions mentioned burning a DVD so that should work as well if you have an external burner.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
golf

thanks for that will give it a shot
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Let us know how it goes.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
golf

Hi all i have managed to sort it out what i did was download a file to my windows pc called RecoveryDiskAssistant.dmg file then i formatted a usb stick put file on it & put it in mac mini then booted to usb & walla it asked for internet settings put them in & now it is downloading mountain lion should be all sorted in couple of hours
Thanks
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Password Container that supports local synch? | Connecting to a former chatroom »