New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

How do I get into true full screen mode?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dotdotdot

dotdotdot is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" 2.5 i5 8G RAM OS X 10.9.2 (12C60)

Windows - f8 gets to true, edge-to-edge full screen with no borders (say, viewing pics). "Fullscreen" with my iMac still leaves the Bookmarks, Address and Tab bars. So before I give up and go back to Windows (j/k...), is it possible?
QUOTE Thanks
Gandalph

Gandalph has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac. Intel Quad Core. 8 GB Ram.

You didn't mention what you are using to view your photo's. If you are using IPhoto, then up in the right hand corner of the screen, just bellow the Desktop toolbar there are two grey arrows. Click the one pointing up and it will take the border out to full screen. Then to get the desktop tool bar back again just push the mouse arrow up to the right hand corner of the screen and you will see two red arrows. Click on the down arrow and your toolbar will return. HTH.

 Machine Specs: 27" i7 iMac l 2.8 GHz Quad Core l 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR 3 Ram l ATI Radeon HD 4850 512 MB Ram l 2 TB Sata HDD l 2 TB Time Machine [Seagate GoFlex. Firewire 800] l Built-in OPTIARC DVD RW AD-5680H l Built-in Card reader l Mac OS X 10.9.4 Mavericks I iPhone 4S 16 GB iOS 7.1
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

In the top right corner of the window, there should be what looks like two arrows pointing away from each other. Click that to go to full screen. While in full screen you can swipe left or right across your Magic Mouse to switch between your desktop(s) and your full screen apps.

To exit full screen mode, move the mouse pointer towards the top of the screen to get the menu bar back. The same double arrow symbol will be in the top right corner highlighted in blue.

The shortcut key to toggle full screen mode is Control-Command-F.
QUOTE Thanks
dotdotdot

Well, I guess I can only dream. Seems an app is required.

Any way to make a window full-screen? - MacRumors Forums
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotdotdot View Post
Well, I guess I can only dream. Seems an app is required.

Any way to make a window full-screen? - MacRumors Forums
Follow the arrow.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen-Shot-2013-03-29-at-8.24.25-AM.png (556.4 KB, 96 views)

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
dotdotdot

CR, thanks, but that dosen't cut it. Only the top bar is removed.

Edit, not iPhoto, but any situation.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
CR, thanks, but that dosen't cut it. Only the top bar is removed.

Edit, not iPhoto, but any situation.
You never said which application you are trying to get into full screen. Not all applications can do full screen.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

It's not "one screen fits all" so to speak.
QUOTE Thanks
dotdotdot

ALRIGHT, I figured it out, purely by accident.

View > Presentation Mode, goes to true edge-to-edge full screen (Command + Shift + F).
So in Mac-speak fullscreen is called "presentation." Completely nonsensical.

Caution: Don't go to full screen mode (click the double arrow thingamabob, upper right) and then go to Presentation. If you do, you will be stuck in Presentation (no option to see View).
You'll have to open a new window to be able to get out of Full.

Incredibly poor design and ridiculously unnecessarily complicated.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Incredibly poor design and ridiculously unnecessarily complicated.
Maybe. Of course it only seems "Incredibly poor design and ridiculously unnecessarily complicated"...because you didn't know how to do it. Now that you know how to do it...it's easy!

Things we don't know how to do almost always seem complicated...until we know how to do them.

Also...no one ever said that the Mac OS was 100% better than Windows in everything! Well...maybe some folks say this...but then they're not really being honest!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Quote:
Windows - f8 gets to true, edge-to-edge full screen with no borders (say, viewing pics). "Fullscreen" with my iMac still leaves the Bookmarks, Address and Tab bars. So before I give up and go back to Windows (j/k...), is it possible?
Just curious . . . but where in Windows does F8 go full screen? It has presentation mode (since Vista) in the mobility options, but even that isn't function key activated.

It's F11 in a browser but I'm unaware of a function key that makes anything, system wide, go full screen in Windows. Would be happy if there was.... but it's not F8

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
dotdotdot

^ Yes, I was entirely wrong. In Windows 7 and Windows XP, click the F11 key at the top of your keyboard.
Vista I assume is the same way. Windows 8, hopefully it's still as straight forward.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

That's only in a web browser. It's not system-wide

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
View > Presentation Mode, goes to true edge-to-edge full screen (Command + Shift + F).
So in Mac-speak fullscreen is called "presentation." Completely nonsensical. [...] Incredibly poor design and ridiculously unnecessarily complicated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrplow View Post
That's only in a web browser. It's not system-wide
Exactly - presentation mode is a feature of Chrome, nothing else (or at least as far as I can tell). If someone is to blame for the operation, it's Google, not Apple.

Quote:
Caution: Don't go to full screen mode (click the double arrow thingamabob, upper right) and then go to Presentation. If you do, you will be stuck in Presentation (no option to see View).
You'll have to open a new window to be able to get out of Full.
Moving your mouse to the top edge of the screen, regardless of "mode" will reveal the menubar.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
Sawday

Sawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 24" Aluminium, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb RAM. iPad2, iPhone4

"Cmd Shift F" - you learn something everyday here. Thank you people!!

Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you get.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« A code under the mouse cursor!! | SD Cards and new iMac »