New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Why won't Safari stay on my Dock?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

CarolinaGirl62

CarolinaGirl62 is on a distinguished road

Every time I want to use Safari I have to find it in my "Finder" and open it. It appears on the dock during this process but when I log off it disappears from the dock. How do I get it to stay there? Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Open Safari. When it appears in the Dock, right click on it, select options, select "Keep in Dock".
QUOTE Thanks
CarolinaGirl62

Thank you! I guess the problem is more complicated than I first wrote --
So when I log in to Safari (After finding it in Spotlight) my browser opens but I cannot see the Dock or my top menu bar. I have to move my mouse to the top of my screen to find my top menu bar to log off of Safari in order to get back to my desktop and dock. Make sense?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

You're using Safari in full screen mode. Move your mouse cursor to the top of the screen. When you do, you'll see the top menu bar appear. Now look to the far upper right hand side of the screen and you should see two diagonal blue arrows facing away from each other. Click on those two arrows and Safari will return to normal screen mode. When it does, the Dock will also appear. Then follow directions that I gave you in my first reply.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

It sounds like Safari had been put into fullscreen mode. The next time you launch Safari scroll up until you see the menu bar. Go to the View menu and see if there is an option that says "Exit Full Screen" If so, choose that.

Once that is done follow Chscag's directions above to put Safari back in the Dock.

Aced out again. Nice work buddy.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
CarolinaGirl62

Nice work indeed! Thank you both for your help! Something SO simple was making me crazy!!! You are appreciated!!!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Partitioning external drive for use as Time Machine | Switch to Mac - questions, questions »