New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

How partition a new Mac Mini (and install Leopard)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Kevin, I am thinking it might be the optical drive. If you fix the machine, try a can of compressed air into the drive and see if it then installs. We have had many users here with that issue. If you are Really a brave person, when you have it apart to put in the new power supply, take the drives cover off and clean the lens. I have done that on many of the thin drives in iMacs and Minis and they worked like new. Better than paying $100 for a new drive! Either that or if you have an external USB drive, try the SL DVD in that and boot and try to install.

Most times I have seen an OSX install not complete it was either the Disc or the optical drive.
QUOTE Thanks
kevinlamb

kevinlamb is on a distinguished road

I have this Mac in about as many pieces as i can get. So I will surely try getting to the lens.
Since you know a lot about the goings on inside these things, this is what happened to mine.

First problem was that the iMac factory drive failed. The 1TB.
Then the new drive I put in would sometimes not power up. I'd mess with the connections going in and then it would.
Next the drive was powering up and the Mac chime came on when the machine started but this screen would stay white - drive was spinning but nothing showed. I mess with the cords and connections inside long enough and it would come back.
Then about every 4 days the sceen would stay white. This last time I bumped the foil on the back of the LCD against the circuit board of the power supply and it cracked and popped and left a burn trail on the power supply.

This unit had a totally detachable powersupply except for one little wire leading to a soldered on connection - I cut the wire. The replacement board looks just like mine but does not have that tiny piece with the wire coming out. I am thinking that is a heat sensor;
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

@kevinlamb...a few points:

1. Realize that for the most part...repairing old non-working Mac's is not as "financially efficient" as it is with Windows computers...unless you can get the parts really really cheap (which is not easy). Sounds like you have multiple issues with your iMac (power supply, hard drive, optical drive). When you add up all of these costs (even doing the work yourself)...that's a good bit of change that could be put towards a new (or new to you) faster/newer computer.

2. Chas_m has a point that investing in a newer version of ProTools (even if it is expensive). If you use ProTools professionally (or are a serious hobbyist)...you're eventually going to want a newer version simply due to newer features...and of course compatibility with newer Mac computers & OS versions.

3. As far as the quad-core question...you need to make sure that ProTools is written to take advantage of multicore cpu's. If it is...then ProTools would definitely fly on a quad-core cpu.

Just some stuff to think about.

- Nick

p.s. Of course budgets are always important...and I realize that new computers and newer versions of major software packages are not cheap!

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
kevinlamb

Yes, with three major issues it is not wise to try to fix the iMac.

Anybody out there using a regular HDTV as a monitor? I have a 40inch Samsung 1080P TV that sure would make it easier to edit waveforms - I know it would not look as good as a Retina display but isn't the resolution the same as a regular iMac monitor? Might go with the Mac Mini and the Samsung and bite the bullet on the ProTools software. I don't know whether it is legal for people to resell Avid software on Ebay - I'll take a look.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Others may have different results but I did not like doing this. I tried it with a 32" Samsung TV (720p resolution) and my 2006 Mac Pro. Some tasks such as looking at photos and watching videos were fine but reading menus and other interface elements was a bit difficult in many audio/video programs. Part of that may be my vision but it's also true that text just does not look as sharp on TV monitors as it does on computers. Jerking with the resolution settings may help a bit.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

The problem was the 720P resolution. Definitely not the best quality from a Mac or PC even with a good graphics card. However, a TV of 1080P resolution looks good.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

I always wondered whether that was not part of the problem. The set is not very old but was purchased shortly before the price of 1080 sets started to drop. Just my luck. The graphics card in that Mac could have been beefed up a bit too.

QUOTE Thanks
kevinlamb

OK - one more question - editied - found the answer.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinlamb View Post
OK - one more question - editied - found the answer.
I was just looking up the answer for you when you edited your post. Just in case I can add anything...here it is. Your iMac most likely has a "mini-DVI" port for the video-out. If so...then you would need this mini-DVI to HDMI adapter:

For only $4.23 each when QTY 50+ purchased - Mini-DVI to HDMI® Adapter

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
kevinlamb

thanks - here is another one. I am considering a used iMac - a 2011. I looked up the specs iMac (21.5-inch and 27-inch, Mid 2011) - Technical Specifications and there does not seem to be a video out port - is that what Thunderbolt is for? Is there such a thing as a Thunderbolt to HDMI
cable?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
thanks - here is another one. I am considering a used iMac - a 2011. I looked up the specs iMac (21.5-inch and 27-inch, Mid 2011) - Technical Specifications and there does not seem to be a video out port - is that what Thunderbolt is for? Is there such a thing as a Thunderbolt to HDMI
cable?
Thunderbolt port info:

Apple - Thunderbolt: Next-generation high-speed I/O technology.

As far as video out...when it comes to video...the Thunderbolt port is the same as a mini-Display port. So if you still have an HDMI need...then you would need a mini-display port to HDMI adapter.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Unless I am wrong about your iMac video connection you need something like thisFor only $5.70 each when QTY 50+ purchased - Mini DisplayPort | Thunderbolt® to HDMI® Adapter w/ Audio Support. Attach an HDMI cable to that and connect to the appropriate port on your TV.

Edit: Never mind Nick has things well in hand

QUOTE Thanks
kevinlamb

Thank so much! OK - I COULD BE DOWN TO MY FINAL QUESTION because I think I know what the only affordable solution is for me at this time. What is the latest, most powerful Mac Mini version I could buy used that will run Leopard/Snow Leopard? I guess it would have to be the year model that came with Leopard/Snow Leopard as the OS. I am thinking a Lion released Mac Mini would also not be able to go back an OS generation.

My iMac ran ProTools 8 without a problem and it only has a 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor. I am betting the used Mac Mini that will work for me is at least as capable as this.

I am seeing this http://support.apple.com/kb/SP585
as the last one that used a Leopard. (I think) The 2011 release came with Lion. The Lion one did use an i5 processor, which would be nice but I am guessing I could not install Snow Leopard on that either.

Would the RAM from my iMac (two 2 MB cards) fit into this machine? These Mac Mini's only came with 2mb.

AND, if someone has installed Mountain Lion on it I can go back without a problem? Just a side note - I have looked these up on Ebay and they sell for almost as much as the new October 2012 i5's! I thought they would be around $300 - they are not!

Kevin
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
What is the latest, most powerful Mac Mini version I could buy used that will run Leopard/Snow Leopard?
I don't know man...you seem to be all over the place with this computer issue.

- first when the thread began you were asking about a Mac-Mini
- then saying that you're going to repair your broken iMac
- then asking a question about the video on your old iMac
- then asking a question about the video on a newer iMac
- now asking about a Mac-Mini again

I think that you would really be doing yourself a favor (to simplify things) if you first either decided to fix or not fix your old iMac. If not...then decide on whether you're going to get an newer Mac-Mini or newer iMac. By being "all over the map" so to speak...you're probably making things very confusing (for you & us).

Anyway...regarding your latest question (newest Mac-Mini that can run Leopard/Snow Leopard). First of all do you really mean that it needs to able to run both Leopard & Snow Leopard? Remember...Leopard is OS 10.5...and Snow Leopard is OS 10.6.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
kevinlamb

I am down to getting a Mac Mini that will run ProTools 8. I want to use the 40 inch HDTV for editing ProTools two main windows and for being able to really see the waveforms for editing.
I did not think there was much of a difference between Lepoard and Snow Leopard - unless that is when Apple stopped using Rosetta. I thought that support was discontinued with Lion.

I just do not need ProTools 10 for what I do. It is not worth $400 plus $50 for an iLock dongle and then tax on top of both.

Anway, the late year release of the 2010 Mac Mini came with Snow Leopard installed...if that supports ProTools 8 - or if not, would allow me to install Leopard, I am good to go.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Exchange Email | External Monitor, two apps - One menu bar »