New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Need Buying Tips for Mac Mini

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kaleb112494

kaleb112494 is on a distinguished road

Hey, guys. I'm planning on buying a Mac Mini in the near future and have some questions about what I should do and if what I have already would work with the newer Mac's. First off, I'm more than likely going to buy the base model Mini for $599, Core i5, 4GB DDR3 1600MHz, you know the rest.

I'm unfamiliar with OS X, and going into a technological field for college and possibly a career, I want to have a little of everything under my belt; so this Mac will just really be to play around with, get familiar with the OS, etc. So my first question is would a Mac Mini be a good choice (being the cheapest) to become familiar with OS X, boot camp, and so on?

Next thing; I have a stick of Kingston 4GB DDR3 1600MHz laptop RAM sitting next to me, unused. Is there any reason that this would not work if I were to upgrade the memory of the Mac as soon as I got it? I have no problem with 4GB of RAM, but if I can have 6, why not?

My last question is about the Time Capsule external hard drive. I have a 1TB WD MyBook Live and a 2TB WD MyBook that work fine for me now with my Windows and Linux installations. Would this also work as well as the Time Capsule, especially when connected with USB 3.0?

Thank you for your opinion(s) and answers.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaleb112494 View Post
So my first question is would a Mac Mini be a good choice (being the cheapest) to become familiar with OS X, boot camp, and so on?
Yes, though I would recommend upping the memory after you buy it (cheaper that way, very easy to install.

Quote:
Next thing; I have a stick of Kingston 4GB DDR3 1600MHz laptop RAM sitting next to me, unused. Is there any reason that this would not work if I were to upgrade the memory of the Mac as soon as I got it? I have no problem with 4GB of RAM, but if I can have 6, why not?
It SHOULD work, but I'd suggest taking out BOTH the 2GB modules and replacing them with 4GB modules. You already have one, so I'd get a matching one to go with it.
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

MacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 4S, iPad (Retina), 13" MBP and MacMini

Quote:
My last question is about the Time Capsule external hard drive. I have a 1TB WD MyBook Live and a 2TB WD MyBook that work fine for me now with my Windows and Linux installations. Would this also work as well as the Time Capsule, especially when connected with USB 3.0?
Those drives are probably formatted NTFS, which OSX can read, but not write to natively. Paragon NTFS will allow you to write to them. However, if you don't plan to share them with your Windows/Linux installations again, it would be better if you can reformat them to the native OSX format using Disk Utility (which comes with OSX).
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« blocked plugin | Partitioning external drive for use as Time Machine »