New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Keyboard Shortcuts

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

f1angelina

f1angelina is on a distinguished road

Wonder if anyone can help me. I'm trying to find/create a hashtag shortcut on my keyboard. I have a Macbook Air (bought in the UK) and I have read/heard that the shortcut should be set to alt+3 however when I action this I get taken to my 3rd desktop.

I'm sure this should be simple so step by step instructions on how to create a shortcut of my own would be greatly appreciated.

Angelina
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 13in macbook - 10.9.5

Sounds like you're pressing ctrl-3. Alt is Option.

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), BenQ second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB

The hastag symbol (#) is created with SHIFT-3, not alt-3 or control-3. It's actually printed right there on the key!
QUOTE Thanks
f1angelina

f1angelina is on a distinguished road

I've tried all the combinations with shift, alt, cmd etc. When I try shift+3 I get £ because that's the local currency and as I said I purchased the Macbook in the UK. There is most definitely no hashtag symbol printed on the key or any key.

I'm pretty sure that I have this problem because over a year ago I reassigned the keyboard shortcuts but now I don't know how to do this anymore as I have since updated the software and am now running Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5 (11G63) and I can't seem to work my way round system preferences to find where I can create keyboard shortcuts anymore. I wouldn't mind creating a completely new keyboard shortcut for the hashtag but the problem is I don't know where to do this. Anyone got any ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 13in macbook - 10.9.5

Well, this is on Mt. Lion but shouldn't be too different...
Open System Preferences, click on Keyboard, click on right tab.
This is where you make shortcuts.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot_3_27_13_5_34_PM.png (79.6 KB, 18 views)

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), BenQ second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1angelina View Post
When I try shift+3 I get £ because that's the local currency and as I said I purchased the Macbook in the UK.
Sorry, you're right I didn't remember that when I wrote my post. I'm sure there IS a hashtag someplace though, as millions of UK Twitter users would be severely handicapped without it!

According to: Where's the hash key on a Mac keyboard?

It is, in fact, option/alt (held down) and the three key normally, but you said you reassigned keyboard shortcuts so that's where the problem truly lies.

You can change or create keyboard shortcuts here: OS X Lion: Create keyboard shortcuts for applications
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Quick question | blocked plugin »