New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Microsoft Office Professional Edition

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tk26

tk26 is on a distinguished road

Ok well I am buying a Mac and were considering buying Microsoft Office because we have been using it for the longest time

Well it comes with word, powertpoint, excel, outlook and this last application here's the description ...

Office 2004 for Mac Professional Edition is the only Office for Mac suite that includes Virtual PC 7 with Windows XP Professional. Virtual PC gives you access to Windows-only files, programs and networks right from your Mac desktop.

So what does this do, will I be able to run programs that are not mac compatible, like games or what? Will any program work or only certain ones? Is it worth it for the extra 100$

Ok well I just read some review and a Intel processor user said this program Virtual PC 7 does not work on the new Macs with intel chips is this true?

Is the Student and Teacher Version any different from say the Office 2004 - standard addition?
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk26
So what does this do, will I be able to run programs that are not mac compatible
Yes, you will.
Quote:
, like games or what?
No. The graphics will not be supported under emulation of Virtual PC

Quote:
Is it worth it for the extra 100$
My personal opinion?... No. If you really need to use a Windows program, then just keep a Windows PC around for that.

Quote:
Ok well I just read some review and a Intel processor user said this program Virtual PC 7 does not work on the new Macs with intel chips is this true?
Currently, yes this is true.

Quote:
Is the Student and Teacher Version any different from say the Office 2004 - standard addition?
No, not really. Office is Office is Office is Office.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
tk26

tk26 is on a distinguished road

ok i thought that it was the same are the just releasing the version for the discount to students and teachers, now will this version have the same buttons on the bottom display area of the screen, does anyone know if theres any difference?
QUOTE Thanks
saunderscc

saunderscc is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 1.67GHZ 15" PowerBook G4 Widescreen "The Great Last PowerBook"/20" iMac Core Duo, 2GB RAM, 256VRAM

only the discount should be the difference. There should not be a difference with the layout. As the other poster said Office is Office is Office. I myself got the Office with Virtual PC. I have one program that I have to run from work that I use it for, that is not graphic intensive and is very basic. It is not worth it for me to have two computers.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

The apps included in the student&teacher version are IDENTICAL in every way to the standard edition.

The only differences are: Price & Licensing: You get 3 licenses for quite a lot less than 1 standard license. But you are only allowed to use it for non-commercial purposes.
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

Virtual PC is almost worthless, in my opinion. Definantly not worth the money.
QUOTE Thanks
mblphnlvr

mblphnlvr is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: G4 15" PowerBook 1.3Ghz, 1gb, 120gb hd

I agree, for me Virtual PC could run almost none of the apps that I tried to run(none of them very important) and it also used up a large chunk of my hard drive.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Windows Office & Mac Office | Upgrading the Video Card »