New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Imaging a Computer Lab


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
immac2013

 
Member Since: Mar 24, 2013
Posts: 6
immac2013 is on a distinguished road

immac2013 is offline
Just received 27 new 21.5 imacs running 10.8.3 Mountain Lion for our computer lab. We had been using emacs running panther and it has been a long time since I have had to image a lab. Back then we could netboot from our server. It ended up crashing and then we never really reimaged the macs because they were so old. I just cleaned each one up separately. I think teachers thought I could just plug these new imacs in and start using them. I want to set up one imac.

How I want it to look:
Add additional software like Notebook, google chrome, hide facetime, hide photo booth you get the picture
Put that image on the other 26. We are a Catholic grade school. Can anyone offer an easy solution. Keep in mind I am not an IT person I am the computer teacher. THANKS
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

 
pigoo3's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 20, 2008
Location: U.S.
Posts: 25,822
pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

pigoo3 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by immac2013 View Post
Just received 27 new 21.5 imacs running 10.8.3 Mountain Lion for our computer lab. We had been using emacs running panther and it has been a long time since I have had to image a lab.
WOW...that is one heck of an upgrade!!! Congratulations on the new computers!!!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Aqua

 
Aqua's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 05, 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 452
Aqua has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini

Aqua is offline
The way I do/did it with my Snow Leopard was to install all I wanted to begin with (IE all upgrades to date, all software I want to start with like Onyx - your case facetime hidden, photobooth hidden etc. and all took off software I don't need or want). Then I did a Carbon Copy Cloner (which is free for SL or lower - you coud get the educators discount) or I think Crash Plan might also be an option.

Hope that helps..

invincible ignorance is an example of ignorance that can not be removed by any amount of evidence. It's now a widespread form of pollution. (Revised quote) An apple a day, keeps the psychiatrist away.. If you play a Windows install CD backwards it has satanic verses
QUOTE Thanks
immac2013

 
Member Since: Mar 24, 2013
Posts: 6
immac2013 is on a distinguished road

immac2013 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua View Post
The way I do/did it with my Snow Leopard was to install all I wanted to begin with (IE all upgrades to date, all software I want to start with like Onyx - your case facetime hidden, photobooth hidden etc. and all took off software I don't need or want). Then I did a Carbon Copy Cloner (which is free for SL or lower - you coud get the educators discount) or I think Crash Plan might also be an option.

Hope that helps..
Thanks for responding. If I download the Free CCC will it give me step by step instructions on how to do the process and what would be a reputable site to download it from. By the way what does SL stand for. Thank You
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

 
Slydude's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 15, 2009
Location: North Louisiana, USA
Posts: 6,162
Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Slydude is offline
The SL refers to Snow Leopard it's the commonly used name to refer to OS X 10.6.

You can find Carbon Copy Cloner here, Here's a pdf of the documentation. That may give you a few ideas.

Probably the easiest thing for what you want to do is get one machine set the way you want it. Use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone that installation to an external hard drive. In the event of a problem you can boot the problem machine from that external hard drive and reinstall the basic setup.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
immac2013

 
Member Since: Mar 24, 2013
Posts: 6
immac2013 is on a distinguished road

immac2013 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
The SL refers to Snow Leopard it's the commonly used name to refer to OS X 10.6.

You can find Carbon Copy Cloner here, Here's a pdf of the documentation. That may give you a few ideas.

Probably the easiest thing for what you want to do is get one machine set the way you want it. Use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone that installation to an external hard drive. In the event of a problem you can boot the problem machine from that external hard drive and reinstall the basic setup.
Thanks for the clarification on the SL. Would you have any idea how big the external hard drive capacity needs to be for an image for an imac running Mountain Lion 10.8.3 - 500GB hard drive and 4GB memory. Thanks so much for the 2 links. I really appreciate your help.
QUOTE Thanks
immac2013

 
Member Since: Mar 24, 2013
Posts: 6
immac2013 is on a distinguished road

immac2013 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
WOW...that is one heck of an upgrade!!! Congratulations on the new computers!!!

- Nick
Yes it is! The students can't wait to use them. One little 2nd grader said my Dad has one just like it and I can't touch it, now I have one at school, awesome. I have gotten some great advice and links from your members. Thank you for your service.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

 
Slydude's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 15, 2009
Location: North Louisiana, USA
Posts: 6,162
Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Slydude is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by immac2013 View Post
Thanks for the clarification on the SL. Would you have any idea how big the external hard drive capacity needs to be for an image for an imac running Mountain Lion 10.8.3 - 500GB hard drive and 4GB memory. Thanks so much for the 2 links. I really appreciate your help.
Glad to help.

You generally need a destination drive at least as large as the source drive. Personally I prefer one slightly larger. As you make changes to the drive you won't have to worry about whether you have enough space on the backup drive.

As I was reading your post the idea of a netboot setup kept coming back. It is possible to create a net boot image for 10.8. Here's a description / how to guide..

That guide is for 10.8 Server but the software is included as part of the regular OS X install so I think t would work without the server tools installed. The net boot imaging utility is in System/Library/CoreServcies/SystemImageUtility

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
immac2013

 
Member Since: Mar 24, 2013
Posts: 6
immac2013 is on a distinguished road

immac2013 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
Glad to help.

You generally need a destination drive at least as large as the source drive. Personally I prefer one slightly larger. As you make changes to the drive you won't have to worry about whether you have enough space on the backup drive.

As I was reading your post the idea of a netboot setup kept coming back. It is possible to create a net boot image for 10.8. Here's a description / how to guide..

That guide is for 10.8 Server but the software is included as part of the regular OS X install so I think t would work without the server tools installed. The net boot imaging utility is in System/Library/CoreServcies/SystemImageUtility
Great Video for net booting. We had 12" of snow today so all schools closed. I will be back in the computer lab tomorrow and see if I can make an image. The Apple education guy I talked with had know idea of the system utility section. He sent me some link too. Your link will be the most beneficial to me. I will let you know how it goes. You do not know how much I appreciate the feedback. Like I said, I am far from an IT person. I'll keep you posted.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

 
chas_m's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 22, 2010
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 16,269
chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

chas_m is offline
Given the incredibly frequent update schedule for Chrome, not to mention its implementation of Flash, you may want to reconsider using it as a default browser if you're the one who's in charge of keeping everything up-to-date and secure.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

 
Slydude's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 15, 2009
Location: North Louisiana, USA
Posts: 6,162
Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Slydude is offline
Glad to help. I've never used net boot before because I have never managed enough Macs to justify it. If I remember correctly in the past you've had to have the server tools installed.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« can you merge 2 apple IDs | Macbook air start up disc full »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
What Mac Should I Buy? DarkestRitual Schweb's Lounge 22 12-08-2010 11:37 AM
Networking: screen sharing problems jfontana OS X - Operating System 2 11-23-2010 12:09 PM
What you would add to the iPad? ace.13unibody iPad Hardware and Accessories 79 05-20-2010 06:39 PM
deleting computer to computer network rwolfy Internet, Networking, and Wireless 1 02-07-2010 06:17 PM
How to Back up Songs and Videos to PC with iTouch Transfer? eddyyoyo iOS and Apps 0 03-18-2009 01:36 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:08 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?