New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

key logging. serious

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

unbeknownst

Hey is there any good keystroke loggers out there? ones I dont have to pay for I mean. Im pretty sure someone I know is screwing around on my comp and I want to be certain. This person is really good with computers too so I cant have some dummie recorder that shows up right there when it makes logs. Seriously, this guy I know works for a computer company and knows more stuff than I do. but I know enough to know when things arent right.
Please help. thank you.
QUOTE Thanks
tjburns

just swap out your keyboard for one with superglue on the keys over your lunch break...
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Just lock your computer

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

sorry this is not free.. but it is the only way i know how to capture keystrokes with out something on the screen.. its done by hardware.
http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/security/7af2/

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerBookG4
sorry this is not free.. but it is the only way i know how to capture keystrokes with out something on the screen.. its done by hardware.
http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/security/7af2/
Wow, thats expensive.

Where is your computer located that it is in a position for people to just walk up and use it? Is this a personal computer or a work machine?
QUOTE Thanks
unbeknownst

Ive tried locking it up and everything. but I dont just want to prevent it (if I can) from being hacked into anymore, I want to know what theyre doing, and just to be certain that it is local.
This is happening at home and i cant always hide my computer away. And there is a slight chance it is happening over wifi, though I doubt it.

Thanks for the link. I cant afford anything right now though. plus, I would prefer something purely internal, especially since this is on an ibook.
Thanks everyone.
QUOTE Thanks
Kokopelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbeknownst
Ive tried locking it up and everything. but I dont just want to prevent it (if I can) from being hacked into anymore, I want to know what theyre doing, and just to be certain that it is local.
This is happening at home and i cant always hide my computer away. And there is a slight chance it is happening over wifi, though I doubt it.

Thanks for the link. I cant afford anything right now though. plus, I would prefer something purely internal, especially since this is on an ibook.
Thanks everyone.
Well if it is remote, a keystroke logger will do no good. If you want to ensure no remote exploits there is a very simple solution. Turn it off when you are not around. If you are afraid of a local attacker (i.e. someone at the keyboard) then lock all accounts with a strong password.

Please be more specific, what do you suspect the miscreant is doing and how do you suspect he is accomplishing the deed. If a user can bypass a secure password in a short period of time he can also cover his tracks against a keystroke logger. If he is doing it remotely, again a logger won't do any good.

While it may sound like an attractive idea it is not a practical solution to your problem, legal and ethical considerations aside. Heck go low tech. Set a script to send a note to the system log on login.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

The only way to keep your system secure is through prevention. You can't try to "log" or "monitor" a hacker, because if your computer has been hacked, whoever did it can just disable your logging software. If I'm a hacker, and I want to hack your machine, the first thing I do is install a rootkit. I'd have almost as much control over your computer as you would.

If you believe your computer has already been compromised, then the safest thing to do is to re-install the Mac OS from scratch, and then keep them from getting back in.

In the future, set a good password, turn on your firewall, and use WPA encryption on your WiFi network. Lock your door, and log out whenever you leave your computer.
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

Are there even any trojan applications that can give someone that kind of control over a computer running OS X?
QUOTE Thanks
unbeknownst

yeah I dont know that its remote. The reason I want a keylogger is because it just seems like this person has access to my computer. its like they just always know my password. and the only thing that tips me off in the first place is slight changes in things. files that I left open are closed or vice versa. but always something small. just the odd change in settings here and there as though they tried to put things back to how i left it but forgot small details. I have a strangely good memory for things like that, so if a desktop icon is out of place i will notice.

I really want to try key logging to perhaps rule that out. I do log my computer out a lot of the time, but I leave things running often, and Im so busy these days that if I cant leave it going while im out some of the time, then I'll never get anything done.

What should I use for firewall options though? I havent looked into that very much because in my past experience they just get in the way and Ive never really had sufficient cause to seriously consider using one.
QUOTE Thanks
cjay

cjay is a jewel in the roughcjay is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
What should I use for firewall options though? I havent looked into that very much because in my past experience they just get in the way and Ive never really had sufficient cause to seriously consider using one.
OSX has a built in firewall under system prefs/sharing.
QUOTE Thanks
Kokopelli

Quote:
yeah I dont know that its remote. The reason I want a keylogger is because it just seems like this person has access to my computer. its like they just always know my password. and the only thing that tips me off in the first place is slight changes in things. files that I left open are closed or vice versa. but always something small. just the odd change in settings here and there as though they tried to put things back to how i left it but forgot small details. I have a strangely good memory for things like that, so if a desktop icon is out of place i will notice.

I really want to try key logging to perhaps rule that out. I do log my computer out a lot of the time, but I leave things running often, and Im so busy these days that if I cant leave it going while im out some of the time, then I'll never get anything done.

Why don't we try things the easy way first? Put your Mac to sleep and lock it. If the computer is awaken it will log it in the system.log. He could edit this log, but most people would not think to bother.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

The easiest thing to do, is change your pass word to something harder to guess. Try using the follow character replacement.

e -> 3
s -> 5
i/I -> 1
o -> 0

Am use capital letters also.

So if you use a pass word like jones, it could be J0n35.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New(To me) Powerbook 3400 :) So excited | imac ram »