New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Alternative to Quicken 2013

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Alphakilo

Alphakilo is on a distinguished road

Hello, I'm new to this forum and just switched to the new iMac.
I'm still currently running Quicken 2012 on my PC to keep track of my finances. Before I switched over, I was told that there was a Quicken product for the Mac. To my dismay all I found was some crappy, revamped software from 2007 and was told that there was no 2013 software for Mac!

So my newbie question is, what is a good or better alternative for Quicken 2013?
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

You have basically two options:

1. Since all Macs can run Windows programs using a virtualizer, you have the option of running Quicken from Windows using that.

2. You can use one of the third-party programs like iBank or MoneyDance (and there are others as well). Most of them should be able to read your Quicken exported files, but all of them work very differently from the way Quicken works, so you have to get used to that.

Or you can use the updated 2007 version -- I'm told that for basic use it's perfectly fine, but I have no first-hand experience with it.
QUOTE Thanks
Alphakilo

Chas_m, what is a virtualizer? And it will run quicken 2013?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

What chas means is to run your Windows version of Quicken in a virtual machine. Virtual machine software for the Mac consists of three choices:

Parallels
VMWare Fusion
VirtualBox

Of the three, only VirtualBox is free. You can download a copy from here.
QUOTE Thanks
Demapples

Demapples is a jewel in the roughDemapples is a jewel in the rough

I run Quicken in Windows using Parallels. Works absolutely great. Looks like Quicken is an Apple app on my Mac, allowing me to multitask with MS Office for Mac (Word, Excel) and all the other Apple software during Quicken sessions. I use Windows Internet Explorer with Quicken for bank sessions though, not Safari.

Longtime Windows, then onto slippery slope with iPod/iTunes in 2006, then Apple TV, iPad, iMac, iPhone and finally rejuvenated a discarded MacBook. Happy camper.
QUOTE Thanks
Alphakilo

I found Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac at their website. I assume this is what you're talking about.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, Parallels Desktop is virtual machine software as was pointed out to you in my last reply. However, why not try VirtualBox instead since it's free?
QUOTE Thanks
Alphakilo

I'm taking a look at virtual box now. Might try it out instead of spending 80 bucks!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Give it a try. But if you decide to buy Parallels, you can get it for $49.99 as it's currently being offered by MacWorld on special along with 9 other apps. See our Members Discount forum. LINK
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Also bear in mind that regardless of which option you choose, it will require a NEW copy of Windows not a previously-used one. An OEM disc is apparently fine as long as its a complete copy not an "upgrade" disk.
QUOTE Thanks
Jamesjr

Jamesjr is on a distinguished road

I use Quicken with Parallels 8 and it works fine. I also use it with windows 7. FYI I used my windows 7 disk that was previously used for my old windows laptop and it works fine.
QUOTE Thanks
CanuckBoater

CanuckBoater will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphakilo View Post
Hello, I'm new to this forum and just switched to the new iMac.

... what is a good or better alternative for Quicken 2013?
Is there something native to Mac that anyone can recommend?
QUOTE Thanks
Jamesjr

Jamesjr is on a distinguished road

quicken on Mac is not equal to the windows version. Use something like parallels for mac and use the windows version of quicken
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

As mentioned in post #2 in this very thread, there are some alternatives to Quicken.

Alternative to Quicken 2013
QUOTE Thanks
suumessage

suumessage is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
You have basically two options:

1. Since all Macs can run Windows programs using a virtualizer, you have the option of running Quicken from Windows using that.

2. You can use one of the third-party programs like iBank or MoneyDance (and there are others as well). Most of them should be able to read your Quicken exported files, but all of them work very differently from the way Quicken works, so you have to get used to that.

Or you can use the updated 2007 version -- I'm told that for basic use it's perfectly fine, but I have no first-hand experience with it.
Can anyone compare Quicken for Mac Essentials with MoneyDance and iBank--quality, ability to import from Quicken for Windows 2003. All I use it for is checkbook records and categorizing for taxes. I don't download/reconcile and don't need budget or investment tracking.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Network printer to print black only | 2007 iMac dual screen issues »