Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Switcher Hangout (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/)
-   -   Alternative to Quicken 2013 (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/296848-alternative-quicken-2013-a.html)

Alphakilo 03-20-2013 11:45 PM

Alternative to Quicken 2013

Hello, I'm new to this forum and just switched to the new iMac.
I'm still currently running Quicken 2012 on my PC to keep track of my finances. Before I switched over, I was told that there was a Quicken product for the Mac. To my dismay all I found was some crappy, revamped software from 2007 and was told that there was no 2013 software for Mac!

So my newbie question is, what is a good or better alternative for Quicken 2013?

chas_m 03-21-2013 04:17 AM

You have basically two options:

1. Since all Macs can run Windows programs using a virtualizer, you have the option of running Quicken from Windows using that.

2. You can use one of the third-party programs like iBank or MoneyDance (and there are others as well). Most of them should be able to read your Quicken exported files, but all of them work very differently from the way Quicken works, so you have to get used to that.

Or you can use the updated 2007 version -- I'm told that for basic use it's perfectly fine, but I have no first-hand experience with it.

Alphakilo 03-21-2013 08:56 AM

Chas_m, what is a virtualizer? And it will run quicken 2013?

chscag 03-21-2013 02:19 PM

What chas means is to run your Windows version of Quicken in a virtual machine. Virtual machine software for the Mac consists of three choices:

Parallels
VMWare Fusion
VirtualBox

Of the three, only VirtualBox is free. You can download a copy from here.

Demapples 03-21-2013 05:44 PM

I run Quicken in Windows using Parallels. Works absolutely great. Looks like Quicken is an Apple app on my Mac, allowing me to multitask with MS Office for Mac (Word, Excel) and all the other Apple software during Quicken sessions. I use Windows Internet Explorer with Quicken for bank sessions though, not Safari.

Alphakilo 03-22-2013 01:39 PM

I found Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac at their website. I assume this is what you're talking about.

chscag 03-22-2013 02:16 PM

Yes, Parallels Desktop is virtual machine software as was pointed out to you in my last reply. However, why not try VirtualBox instead since it's free?

Alphakilo 03-22-2013 02:44 PM

I'm taking a look at virtual box now. Might try it out instead of spending 80 bucks!

chscag 03-22-2013 02:54 PM

Give it a try. But if you decide to buy Parallels, you can get it for $49.99 as it's currently being offered by MacWorld on special along with 9 other apps. See our Members Discount forum. LINK

chas_m 03-22-2013 10:14 PM

Also bear in mind that regardless of which option you choose, it will require a NEW copy of Windows not a previously-used one. An OEM disc is apparently fine as long as its a complete copy not an "upgrade" disk.

Jamesjr 03-23-2013 07:50 AM

I use Quicken with Parallels 8 and it works fine. I also use it with windows 7. FYI I used my windows 7 disk that was previously used for my old windows laptop and it works fine.

CanuckBoater 03-23-2013 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alphakilo (Post 1504036)
Hello, I'm new to this forum and just switched to the new iMac.

... what is a good or better alternative for Quicken 2013?

Is there something native to Mac that anyone can recommend?

Jamesjr 03-23-2013 07:31 PM

quicken on Mac is not equal to the windows version. Use something like parallels for mac and use the windows version of quicken

chas_m 03-24-2013 01:55 AM

As mentioned in post #2 in this very thread, there are some alternatives to Quicken.

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/swi...ml#post1504053

suumessage 04-01-2013 08:22 PM

Quicken for Windows to......?

Quote:

Originally Posted by chas_m (Post 1504053)
You have basically two options:

1. Since all Macs can run Windows programs using a virtualizer, you have the option of running Quicken from Windows using that.

2. You can use one of the third-party programs like iBank or MoneyDance (and there are others as well). Most of them should be able to read your Quicken exported files, but all of them work very differently from the way Quicken works, so you have to get used to that.

Or you can use the updated 2007 version -- I'm told that for basic use it's perfectly fine, but I have no first-hand experience with it.

Can anyone compare Quicken for Mac Essentials with MoneyDance and iBank--quality, ability to import from Quicken for Windows 2003. All I use it for is checkbook records and categorizing for taxes. I don't download/reconcile and don't need budget or investment tracking.