Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Switcher Hangout (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/)
-   -   Brand new switcher (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/296838-brand-new-switcher.html)

mpalusak 03-20-2013 09:25 PM

Brand new switcher

Good evening all,

I have just switched to Mac, literally, yesterday. 13" MacBookPro Retina, 2.6Ghz, 256Gb flash. I have used Windows machines exclusively for years but know many folks that use Mac and sort of chuckle when the see me on Windows machine. I take no offense, it is what I have used and been used to for years. I am excited at learning something new, and maybe more difficult, unlearning what I know so as to not expect this machine to work like a Windows machine.

I have browsed the forums just briefly, but already see alot of folks willing to help and some really useful info for starting out.

I look forward to my time here!

Matt

chscag 03-20-2013 10:24 PM

Welcome to the Mac Forums.

Read through our Sticky posts which you can find at the top of each forum and our Blog Posts. Enjoy your stay.

TattooedMac 03-21-2013 01:51 AM

Welcome again.
Dont be afraid to ask questions and there is never a stupid question, only stupid answers so ask away.

The years of knowledge in these forums is of great value and has got me to where i am over the years.

And last but not least, enjoy yourself learning your new Machine. As you delve more into it, you will see the OS is set up in a logical way and will not be that hard at all.
If there is a piece of Windows Software you need, there is now probably a Mac version ir something similar that will help you out.....

Cheers

chas_m 03-21-2013 04:11 AM

Sounds like you have the right attitude to conquer anything -- Mac, Windows, whatever.

Congrats and keep us posted on your progress and any obstacles.

AWSPhotography 03-21-2013 05:38 AM

welcome matt (no pun intended ...welcome mat???)

im new here also, and also an ex exclusive windows user so i do know where you're comming from.
i would highly recommend you read chas-m's " my essay for switchers and newbies" (link located in his sig above)

lots of good advice there.
look forward to hearing how you get on

Poolman 03-21-2013 07:57 PM

Welcome, I've lurked here for years before joining and found most of the information I needed in the stickies and using the search feature. Would have been easier if I would have just jumped right in as I've seen there is a wealth of knowledge and helpful people around here. Congrats on your new mac.

Thebutchersboy 03-21-2013 08:26 PM

Hey mat, welcome, I have been a mac convert for two years now, and just love anything Mac. Can be a totally different world, lots of exciting new stuff to learn. You won't regret it.

mpalusak 03-22-2013 10:28 AM

Hi all, thanks much for the kind words and encouragement. It certainly makes the transition easier. I can already see the synergy between the Mac and the iPhone and it is amazing. I am trying to get to learn the basics of how the machine works before I add any software or apps to the machine. I have read a handful of the posts and stickys and have found some really valuable info. I'm still a liitle baffled by the fact that no AV is really necessary. Viruses are one of the biggest battles on a Windows machine, so to not have to really worry about it is a relief. I understand that I still have to be diligent and pay attention to where I go and what I put on here, but it is one less "headache" to have to worry about.

I cant wait to get more involved not only with the machine but also in the forums!

Have a great Friday all.

Matt

J.Fo 03-22-2013 04:55 PM

Matt,

One of the things I say to Windows users is, "You don't realize what a pain it is to have to fix a Windows machine until you don't have to do it anymore."

Welcome aboard.

mpalusak 03-24-2013 09:49 AM

HAHA, you are absolutely right. I can now use that time to actually getting to know the machine instead of running scans and being concerned all the time!

Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by J.Fo (Post 1504468)
Matt,

One of the things I say to Windows users is, "You don't realize what a pain it is to have to fix a Windows machine until you don't have to do it anymore."

Welcome aboard.