Specs:
    cMBP 13" mid-2012, 2.9 ghz i7, 8gb ram, 256 gb SSD,
    Saving a picture to the disk drive, extension not used?
    Ok I'm still "new" to OS X in a way, I've been saving some funny pictures of animals, etc that I find online and I noticed that I always have to add the extension of the image (image.jpg) or the file is not saved properly and it doesn't show a preview in Finder. It still opens in Preview fine but otherwise can't be used by other apps like photo editing apps. I have to add the .jpg (or whatever) to it. Is there a way to force Firefox or whatever it is to allow me not to have to enter the extension and it auto-add it itself?

In Windows you can save a picture from online and it just saves it with the extension added without you have to do anything. Linux, too from my experience.

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, Sierra
    I think a lot depends on where you're getting the images from. I go to several sites that offer license free images that we use for our bulletins and flyers and they're always downloaded with the *.jpg extension. And that's using either Safari or Chrome.

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    I think a lot depends on where you're getting the images from. I go to several sites that offer license free images that we use for our bulletins and flyers and they're always downloaded with the *.jpg extension. And that's using either Safari or Chrome.
    Hmm... I've been downloading only from cheezburger.com (not to put the images online elsewhere but for my own amusement.) I'll try other sites. Can you suggest one of the sites you use so I could try it there? I wonder if it's a problem with Firefox beta, which is what i'm currently using.

Brittany

EDIT TO ADD::::

Ok it's Firefox with the issue. I opened Safari, went to cheezburger.com and downloaded an image and it saves properly. GRR. Time to see if there is a bug report for this issue. Thanks!

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    Thanks for letting us know. I was befuddled by your original post. Now I know not to run a FF beta for a while ...

Specs:
    Hmm Well I noticed that if I type in a new name it obviously removes the original name of the file (including it's extension) and if I don't retype that extension it won't save properly. **In Firefox and Firefox beta** So I don't know. I guess I just have to make sure I always add the extension if I start typing when the whole name is selected.

Specs:
    21in. iMac 10.11 --- HP Linux Mint 18
    I think Firefox follows the OS X practice of hiding the extension so if you rename the pic the extension disappears. I've never had any problems with pic downloads but I rename after in Finder.
    It also might be the web site not using extensions though I've never had any problems with Cheezburger.
    One manís theology is another manís belly laugh.
    -Lazarus Long

Specs:
    I tried in Firefox stable and I have to type the extension IF I type over the already highlighted file name for it to save properly which bugs me. It should have only the identifier of the picture highlighted OR it should not add the .jpg to the end of the file name in the save-as dialog and hide the extension.. But oh well. I'll just have to work around it.

Thread Information