New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Saving a picture to the disk drive, extension not used?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

xdunlapx

xdunlapx is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: cMBP 13" mid-2012, 2.9 ghz i7, 8gb ram, 256 gb SSD,

Ok I'm still "new" to OS X in a way, I've been saving some funny pictures of animals, etc that I find online and I noticed that I always have to add the extension of the image (image.jpg) or the file is not saved properly and it doesn't show a preview in Finder. It still opens in Preview fine but otherwise can't be used by other apps like photo editing apps. I have to add the .jpg (or whatever) to it. Is there a way to force Firefox or whatever it is to allow me not to have to enter the extension and it auto-add it itself?

In Windows you can save a picture from online and it just saves it with the extension added without you have to do anything. Linux, too from my experience.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

I think a lot depends on where you're getting the images from. I go to several sites that offer license free images that we use for our bulletins and flyers and they're always downloaded with the *.jpg extension. And that's using either Safari or Chrome.
QUOTE Thanks
xdunlapx

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
I think a lot depends on where you're getting the images from. I go to several sites that offer license free images that we use for our bulletins and flyers and they're always downloaded with the *.jpg extension. And that's using either Safari or Chrome.
Hmm... I've been downloading only from cheezburger.com (not to put the images online elsewhere but for my own amusement.) I'll try other sites. Can you suggest one of the sites you use so I could try it there? I wonder if it's a problem with Firefox beta, which is what i'm currently using.

Brittany

EDIT TO ADD::::

Ok it's Firefox with the issue. I opened Safari, went to cheezburger.com and downloaded an image and it saves properly. GRR. Time to see if there is a bug report for this issue. Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
xdunlapx

Hmm Well I noticed that if I type in a new name it obviously removes the original name of the file (including it's extension) and if I don't retype that extension it won't save properly. **In Firefox and Firefox beta** So I don't know. I guess I just have to make sure I always add the extension if I start typing when the whole name is selected.
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

I think Firefox follows the OS X practice of hiding the extension so if you rename the pic the extension disappears. I've never had any problems with pic downloads but I rename after in Finder.
It also might be the web site not using extensions though I've never had any problems with Cheezburger.

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks
xdunlapx

I tried in Firefox stable and I have to type the extension IF I type over the already highlighted file name for it to save properly which bugs me. It should have only the identifier of the picture highlighted OR it should not add the .jpg to the end of the file name in the save-as dialog and hide the extension.. But oh well. I'll just have to work around it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Learning the Lingo of Posting Here | A Switchers guide to recommended free Apps to download to your new Mac »