New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Learning the Lingo of Posting Here

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

lstauduhar

lstauduhar is on a distinguished road

Hi --
I'm a newbie to Macs and also to posting in a forum.

I have to use a PC at work but my own computer is a MacBook that my brother gave me. I have a lot to learn and to keep straight between PC & Mac.

Since I just joined I was advised to post a thread here to start out. I am unfamiliar with the terminology and how to set up my account here.

For example:
1) Trackbacks - it says they are multiple URLs with spaces. OK - for what? And it is asking me where I want Trackbacks sent to. I don't know.
2) In the box labeled Additional Options
A. What does it mean to "Automatically parse links in text"?
B. What does it mean to "Retrieve titles from external links"?
C. What is "Post a Poll"?
D. What is "Post a poll with this thread"?
E. What is "Number of poll options"?

So far I'm just going with what looks like the default settings.

Thanks for any help! I appreciate it already!

Leanne
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstauduhar View Post
Since I just joined I was advised to post a thread here to start out. I am unfamiliar with the terminology and how to set up my account here.
If you've successfully started & posted this thread...then you are already in great shape! This is the main activity that 99% of members do 99% of the time.

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstauduhar View Post
For example:
1) Trackbacks - it says they are multiple URLs with spaces. OK - for what? And it is asking me where I want Trackbacks sent to. I don't know.
2) In the box labeled Additional Options
A. What does it mean to "Automatically parse links in text"?
B. What does it mean to "Retrieve titles from external links"?
C. What is "Post a Poll"?
D. What is "Post a poll with this thread"?
E. What is "Number of poll options"?

So far I'm just going with what looks like the default settings.

Thanks for any help! I appreciate it already!

Leanne
Welcome!

Sticking with the default options in a post will cover 98% of your needs. As for your questions, you can ignore C-E unless you need to create a poll. As for A, that statement is simply asking if you want the forum software to create links from any URLs that you include in your post. Question B is related - it's simply asking if you want the forum software to replace the link with the title from the website. In other words, instead of just making a URL into a clickable link, the software will rename the link with the name of the home page.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
lstauduhar

lstauduhar is on a distinguished road

Thanks Nick and thanks VanSmith for your prompt and helpful replies! I think I'm gonna like this.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Hard Drives and such | Saving a picture to the disk drive, extension not used? »