New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Mail send problem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cansona

cansona is on a distinguished road

I have been sending mail successfully from home, but when I go to another location (like Starbucks, etc) it tells me I can't send from the server associated with the account - "Select a different outgoing mail server from the list below or click Try Later to leave the message in your Outbox until it can be sent." But there is only one server listed - the one from home, including the wireless modem there and the mail address of our isp! I could add one I suppose, but do I have to add a new server every time I use my computer remotely? And what do I have to know to add the new server? It seems pretty clumsy for a Mac!

BTW, I can receive mail for this account just fine, but not send!
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

MacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 5S, iPad mini, 13" MBP and MacMini

Sounds like your email provider does not allow access to its sending server from outside the network. At home, you're inside the network, but at Starbucks, you are not. Does your provider have a web version of your email? If so, you can probably send from there at Starbucks.

EDIT: And it's NOT a Mac problem, it's a problem with your mail service that works for any and all external machines.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Quote:
It seems pretty clumsy for a Mac!
As pointed out by member "MacInWin" this is not a problem with your Mac (why would you even think so?); it's a problem with your email provider. I suggest dropping your current provider and find another.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), BenQ second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB

And why don't you have an iCloud account to avoid all this nonsense in the first place?

ISP email is for chumps. There I said it.
QUOTE Thanks
cansona

cansona is on a distinguished road

I guess I should clarify... my e-mail is on a webpage for a small company that I have. So although it seems to be coming from our isp, I'm assuming that it just gets imported and exported via our internet connection. The Mac mail program has no trouble getting mail that has come INTO the site, but doesn't want to send outgoing mail except through the isp. In Preferences, my outgoing mail server (SMTP) uses the name of the router, which is assigned to the isp (mail.storm.ca) that I log onto at home. Maybe this is what needs to be reset? I guess I could add a new server, but should I have to do that every time I go somewhere other than home...I never did before...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« what personal finance software? | Apple TV & VLC Media Player »