New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

New iMac. What gives with Youtube speed?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Just Waltzing

Just Waltzing is on a distinguished road

Hi all. So I am very satisfied with my brand new iMac in every way but one: streaming speeds. I notice my Safari browser is very fast for everything expect when it comes to watching videos online. I can click on a youtube video, but to watch it uninterrupted it must be at 320p. It will barely make it so that it buffers more of the video right when it's about to pause. If I want to watch something in 480 or 720, it can take quite a while. To watch a movie trailer in 1080p (I kid you not) is a 20 minute affair.
I've used Chrome on this Mac and I get the same results. I like to stream sports videos and news, so it's not just youtube. Why is it that this brand-spanking new iMac is slower at loading youtube videos than my old PC? Faster than my 11 year-old Dell desktop (I wish I was kidding). Faster than my girlfriend's 1.7 Dual Core HP envy ultra book? Granted, I am using the built-in Wi-Fi and haven't tried using a plug-in internet yet. But still! That HP Envy uses the same Wi-Fi and it streams those same 1080p videos without interruption. I don't get what's going on here. Any advice helps.
Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Can you post a link to a YouTube video that you're attempting to watch so I can test it with my iMac? I suspect it may have something to do with Flash but am not sure. I'd like to have a look before I can try to give you an answer.
QUOTE Thanks
Just Waltzing

Sure. One movie trailer I wanted to see in full HD is this one:
Man of Steel - Official Trailer #2 [HD] - YouTube

My iMac is a 2.7 GHz i5, 8GB RAM. Nothing is adding up to me. My streaming should not be this slow.

2.9, not 2.7
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

I just loaded it and watched it. No slowdown here, everything ran at normal speed. My iMac is the Mid 2011 model 21.5", 8 GB.

As I stated in my first reply, it may be a Flash problem. Go to the Adobe site and download the latest version of Flash. LINK You want version 11.6. Let us know if that helps.
QUOTE Thanks
Just Waltzing

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Can you post a link to a YouTube video that you're attempting to watch so I can test it with my iMac? I suspect it may have something to do with Flash but am not sure. I'd like to have a look before I can try to give you an answer.
That's so weird. Are you using a Wi-Fi connection? And I already have the latest one installed, but am downloading the one that says "11.6 Content Debugger" just in case thats a NEWER version. Thank, and I'll post my update as soon as it's done downloading =
QUOTE Thanks
Just Waltzing

Well I'm done with that and it's the same result. It's quite frustrating that everything is super fast minus the streaming.
I'm going to uninstall and reinstall to see if that does anything.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

I'm on a fast WiFi FIOS (Verizon) connection. It may be your connection that's causing the streaming slow downs.
QUOTE Thanks
Gandalph

Gandalph has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac. Intel Quad Core. 16 GB Ram.

I've just been on You Tube and watched that video through at 1080p HD and no problems with an ethernet connection or Wi-Fi connection.

 Machine Specs: 27" i7 iMac l 2.8 GHz Quad Core l 16 GB 1067 MHz DDR 3 Ram l ATI Radeon HD 4850 512 MB Ram l 2 TB Sata HDD l 2 TB Time Machine [Seagate GoFlex. Firewire 800] l Built-in OPTIARC DVD RW AD-5680H l Built-in Card reader l Mac OS X 10.10.1 Yosemite I iPhone 4S 16 GB iOS 8.1.1
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

I just watched the video as well...no problems here either. I just have an average cable modem internet connection...with a WiFi router.

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), BenQ second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB

Plays perfectly at all resolutions on my 15Mbps Wi-Fi connection. I am, however, getting a bit tired of Superman "reboot" movies.
QUOTE Thanks
Just Waltzing

Hmm I just checked the website and I guess there was a problem with the flash installation. I re-did everything and now I do not get that error message on the flash website. Installation successful. Reboot.

HOWEVER it is still doing that! This is stupid and annoying....
QUOTE Thanks
Just Waltzing

By "website" I mean the Flash website. On the website there are two small flash-tests and mine wasn't running the second one; now it is running them both.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Just a thought... is it possible you are somehow opted into the HTML5 version of YouTube?

Check settings here:

YouTube

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Just a note, only time I have had your issue with any system is when my internet speed is below a certain level.

At my other house I had 6Mbps DSL and even with 1080p HD I never had to pause to watch a video. But here at a friends where I am staying due to my heath issues, we are 2x farther from the CO and ony can get 3Mbps. 1080p will pause but 720 is usually ok. At Starbucks for an example where the speed is usually more like 1Mbps I have to go down to 480 or under to watch a video without pauses. This is the same on a Linux, Windows or Mac notebook.

Check your WiFi connection and see if you are connected at full speed to your router. Open Applications/Utilities/Network Utilities and it will tell you what you are connected at to the router. Maybe you have having an issue and say connecting at some low rate instead of say 54mbps or 150 mbps. If it's too low that might be your issue. How close are you to your router?
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), BenQ second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB

Just waltzing: visit speedtest.net and report back with your graphic:

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Printing to a Windows 7 shared Printer | Basic file saving »