New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Sort FOLDERS, then FILES by name

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Interactive

Interactive is on a distinguished road

I'm probably missing the obvious, but when I sort files/folders in Finder (or any other app accessing the folder system) I prefer it to be sorted all folders at the top in alpha sort, then all files below the folders in alpha sort.

I cannot seem to view my file system this way on the Mac. If I choose to sort by name, it merges the folder names in with the files, which I don't enjoy.

Go ahead, tell me there's an obvious way hidden in plain sight that I'm missing...to get what I'm looking for.

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Can you try the following in Finder. Click on View -> Arrange by -> Name, then Arrange by -> Kind. I'm not in front of my Mac right now, so lemme know if it doesn't' work, and I'll go back with it tonight..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
Interactive

Thanks Raz0rEdge

When I sort by Name first, then switch to Kind, it looses the alpha sort. In fact it seems to go out of its way to randomize the sorting within each kind, but I'm sure that's just my conspiracy theory view.
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

This will do what you want. I've been using it for a while now with no problems.
Download XtraFinder for Mac - Add tabs and more to Finder. MacUpdate.com

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

MacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 4S, iPad (Retina), 13" MBP and MacMini

What you describe is what Windows does. OSX doesn't. Not a conspiracy, just how it goes. There may be third party tools that do what you want.

EDIT: cradom beat me to it!
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

My solution: I don't use List View. In Icon View, arrange by Kind does what you want.

Now, I had to experiment to confirm that. The one thing I wish Finder had is an "Undo" button to get the previous arrangement back!
QUOTE Thanks
Interactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by toMACsh View Post
My solution: I don't use List View. In Icon View, arrange by Kind does what you want.

Now, I had to experiment to confirm that. The one thing I wish Finder had is an "Undo" button to get the previous arrangement back!
I tried this but it's really not the same thing as the individual files are not sorted by alpha once they're broken out by type.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cradom View Post
This will do what you want. I've been using it for a while now with no problems.
Download XtraFinder for Mac - Add tabs and more to Finder. MacUpdate.com
I'll check this out, looks like this may solve my request.

Thanks everyone!
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

TotalFinder is an excellent Finder enhancement that supports folders first amongst other things

TotalFinder brings tabs to your native Finder and more!

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactive View Post
I tried this but it's really not the same thing as the individual files are not sorted by alpha once they're broken out by type.
Funny, it worked in my trial.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« The disk was not ejected properly message when CONNECTING external HD | Financial Forecasting Software »