Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Switcher Hangout (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/)
-   -   Sort FOLDERS, then FILES by name (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/296559-sort-folders-then-files-name.html)

Interactive 03-15-2013 02:42 PM

Sort FOLDERS, then FILES by name

I'm probably missing the obvious, but when I sort files/folders in Finder (or any other app accessing the folder system) I prefer it to be sorted all folders at the top in alpha sort, then all files below the folders in alpha sort.

I cannot seem to view my file system this way on the Mac. If I choose to sort by name, it merges the folder names in with the files, which I don't enjoy.

Go ahead, tell me there's an obvious way hidden in plain sight that I'm missing...to get what I'm looking for.

Thanks!

Raz0rEdge 03-15-2013 02:58 PM

Can you try the following in Finder. Click on View -> Arrange by -> Name, then Arrange by -> Kind. I'm not in front of my Mac right now, so lemme know if it doesn't' work, and I'll go back with it tonight..

Interactive 03-15-2013 03:02 PM

Thanks Raz0rEdge

When I sort by Name first, then switch to Kind, it looses the alpha sort. In fact it seems to go out of its way to randomize the sorting within each kind, but I'm sure that's just my conspiracy theory view.

cradom 03-15-2013 03:04 PM

This will do what you want. I've been using it for a while now with no problems.
Download XtraFinder for Mac - Add tabs and more to Finder. MacUpdate.com

MacInWin 03-15-2013 03:06 PM

What you describe is what Windows does. OSX doesn't. Not a conspiracy, just how it goes. There may be third party tools that do what you want.

EDIT: cradom beat me to it!

toMACsh 03-16-2013 12:43 PM

My solution: I don't use List View. In Icon View, arrange by Kind does what you want.

Now, I had to experiment to confirm that. The one thing I wish Finder had is an "Undo" button to get the previous arrangement back!

Interactive 03-18-2013 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toMACsh (Post 1502982)
My solution: I don't use List View. In Icon View, arrange by Kind does what you want.

Now, I had to experiment to confirm that. The one thing I wish Finder had is an "Undo" button to get the previous arrangement back!

I tried this but it's really not the same thing as the individual files are not sorted by alpha once they're broken out by type.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cradom (Post 1502740)
This will do what you want. I've been using it for a while now with no problems.
Download XtraFinder for Mac - Add tabs and more to Finder. MacUpdate.com

I'll check this out, looks like this may solve my request.

Thanks everyone!

mrplow 03-18-2013 11:40 AM

TotalFinder is an excellent Finder enhancement that supports folders first amongst other things

TotalFinder brings tabs to your native Finder and more!

toMACsh 03-18-2013 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Interactive (Post 1503389)
I tried this but it's really not the same thing as the individual files are not sorted by alpha once they're broken out by type.

Funny, it worked in my trial.