New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Must Have Apps?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MACelmore

MACelmore is on a distinguished road

I just purchased my Macbook Pro Retina and am very excited about it! Thanks to all in this forum who have helped by the way.

Moving on, now that I have officially purchased a Mac, which apps do you guys tend to live by? This thing is awesome straight out of the box, but I'm sure there are some that would make it that much better.

Suggestions?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Please use our forum search feature as this has been discussed many times in numerous threads. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

There are many good ones. My suggestion would be to spend some time getting to know the pre-installed software first. Many times people (including myself) purchase a new app for something they could just as well have done using existing software.

Check the About This Particular Macintosh link in my sig. I've written a bit over the years about uses for Preview, TextEdit, Disk Utility and a few other built in programs I don't remember at the moment. I can't seem to pull them all into one list at the moment. Search for my name in conjunction with one of the installed programs.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
MACelmore

MACelmore is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
There are many good ones. My suggestion would be to spend some time getting to know the pre-installed software first. Many times people (including myself) purchase a new app for something they could just as well have done using existing software.

Check the About This Particular Macintosh link in my sig. I've written a bit over the years about uses for Preview, TextEdit, Disk Utility and a few other built in programs I don't remember at the moment. I can't seem to pull them all into one list at the moment. Search for my name in conjunction with one of the installed programs.
Thanks! I'll check it out. I've been reading lists and it seems like most of the "suggested" apps are, in fact, different variants of the built in programs.
QUOTE Thanks
c4macosx

c4macosx is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBookPro 2011 (A1286), 2.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, DualGrafix, Mountain Lion 10.8.2 / iPod /iPhone4s

you could have a initial look here

Not an exhaustive list though, but you can have an fairly good idea. If not happy, give a "Best Mac Apps for......" you will get a good list and then always check back in this forum.

Enjoy your RMBP!!

There's something you lose for everything you win
But once you get Mac, you always lose Win
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Sylv echoed my suggestion: there's a lot of AWESOME software and ZERO crapware that comes on a Mac, take a little time and get to know the new house before you run out and buy more furniture!
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
Sylv echoed my suggestion: there's a lot of AWESOME software and ZERO crapware that comes on a Mac, take a little time and get to know the new house before you run out and buy more furniture!
Great analogy. Wish I had thought of it.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« WinRAR for mac | Gaming on a Macbook Pro? »